Can you use an FC6 for Midi-Control (only) for Ableton, alongside an FC12 w/ an Axe III, and route USB Audio out of Axe III concurrently?

SinglecutGuy

Inspired
Is it possible to do the following: Play live with an AxeFX III, FC6, FC12, MacBook Pro, having the AxeFX handle the midi control TO the computer running Ableton from the FC6, and at the same time, allow the audio to come back through the USB to the Axe, routable to a separate Output, to send track audio to FOH while using Axe for guitar to FOH?

Setup:

FC6 (for Midi control of Ableton only) -> FC12 (for controlling Presets/FX of AxeFX III as per usual) -> AxeFX III:

AxeFX III -> Output 1 L/R (FOH)
AxeFX III -> USB to MacBook Pro running Ableton Live (exclusively for running live backing tracks) This would utilize the USB to the computer for Midi control, I think?

Lastly:

If the above is possible, is it also possible at the same time to route the Ableton backing track audio out of the MacBook Pro, into the AxeFX via USB, routed to a separate output (Output 2 L/R) to send to FOH, and maintain stereo I/O to send click to Left output and track to Right output?

If the USB audio out is not possible while doing USB to the computer for midi control, I can purchase a separate USB Audio interface but it would be awesome to have it all through the AxeFX.

Basically I think I'm asking if I can use an FC6 for midi control, using the AxeFX as the midi to USB device, and at the same time, use the USB for both midi and audio through the AxeFX III. I don't know if I need a Midi cable somewhere?

The Axe-FX transmits almost nothing over usb midi. With the exception of sysex, the transmit items on the Axe-FX midi implementation chart only refer to the midi ports (there should probably be a footnote on that chart to mention this). So you'll need a midi interface to do what you want. The use of usb for audio is irrelevant to this issue. You mention foot controllers though, so I'm not sure what midi you're expecting to be transmitted. The FC's are not midi controllers.

You mention foot controllers though, so I'm not sure what midi you're expecting to be transmitted. The FC's are not midi controllers.
I suppose I was asking if you could assign midi functions to the buttons on the FC6, to control external midi devices.

I suppose I was asking if you could assign midi functions to the buttons on the FC6, to control external midi devices.
Yes, with the switch triggering midi Output from the Axe Fx via Control Switch Midi and/or the Scene Midi block.

And with the caveat Glenn mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom