Can you tell what some amplifiers (modeling) are that use 85% of the 1Ghz dsp chipset of axe fxIII?

francis

I just wanted to ask because I've been curious about it for a while.

If anyone knows anything about this amp model list, please let me know.

According to cliff's comment (and the fractal wiki) :

"Some of the amp models in the Axe-Fx III use 85% of the dedicated 1GHz DSP."

I was very curious as to what kind of amplifier would allow such a powerful III processor to operate at almost full power (more than 80%).

*edited : I edited the post because a strange emoji was unintentionally included. Sorry.

Hi Francis,
You could make a preset with just input, amp, and output, then select amps to find out.

Thanks
Pauly

Hi Francis,
You could make a preset with just input, amp, and output, then select amps to find out.

Thanks
Pauly

aha! I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, I only have FM9, so I don't know if it's possible. Now I'm going to create a simple preset and quickly swap the amp list.Thanks for the suggestion!

Don't think that would work with Ax3 since the cpu core that services the amp block does not have its running status visible to end users.

That makes sense.If the DSP share reaches 80% when only the amplifier is selected, I think it would have already been talked about in the forum somehow. Even in AXE FX III that would be a huge big fat usage...

Hi,
Please let us know how it goes. I don’t want to give wrong advice again! Sorry about that.
Pauly

aha! I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, I only have FM9, so I don't know if it's possible. Now I'm going to create a simple preset and quickly swap the amp list.Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi,
Please let us know how it goes. I don’t want to give wrong advice again! Sorry about that.
Pauly
It's ok, Pauly
In fact, I haven't been able to test all the amp modeling of my Fractal FM3 and FM9 since AX8. It looks like it will be a fun trip apart from the experiment.

Thank you again for your help and kindness. have a good day.

In Ax3 Fractal manages the amp side CPU quite well so end users can't overload it. I vaguely remember the odd post some time ago reporting crackling on certain amps running on 2 amp blocks (higher gain modells I think - maybe JVM?) - mightv been cpu related and were corrected quickly.
Something like that happened.
thank you for telling me. I don't have many opportunities to play outside of the house these days, so the temptation to buy an AX FXIII is growing!

That makes sense.If the DSP share reaches 80% when only the amplifier is selected, I think it would have already been talked about in the forum somehow. Even in AXE FX III that would be a huge big fat usage...
If you're looking at the CPU meter on Axe-Edit III (or FM9-Edit), I don't think you'll see it jump to 80%. Different cores are dedicated to certain processes and the CPU meter in the editor reflects some sort of algorithm of all their loading. Also, the various form factors have different core-usage. I believe the FM9 had a dedicated core for reverbs and that's why you can add reverbs without much or any influence on that CPU meter.

But you could still do the experiment of putting an amp block by itself on a preset and switch between the amps while putting the reported CPU usage on a spreadsheet and share that data with the class. It still might give you an indication which amps are CPU hogs. But it might be 24% CPU vs 18% CPU. I doubt it'll be reported as 80%+ since those amps would be unusable in presets.

The amp blocks run on a dedicated core and are not reflected in the CPU meter at all. As far as the end user is concerned the amp blocks are free when it comes to CPU cost. If you're seeing presets spike to 80%, it's not because of the amp modeling (unless it's a bug).

The amp blocks run on a dedicated core and are not reflected in the CPU meter at all. As far as the end user is concerned the amp blocks are free when it comes to CPU cost. If you're seeing presets spike to 80%, it's not because of the amp modeling (unless it's a bug).
That's right. I think I was too simplistic about dividing the roles of computing and chipsets. Thank you for your interest and response~!

We're not supposed to go over about 80% total CPU, so I sincerely doubt Fractal would make an amp that, by itself, would exceed that. You couldn't even add a cab. Makes no sense.

Not sure I've tried every amp model, but I've never seen anything like that myself either.

We're not supposed to go over about 80% total CPU, so I sincerely doubt Fractal would make an amp that, by itself, would exceed that. You couldn't even add a cab. Makes no sense.

Not sure I've tried every amp model, but I've never seen anything like that myself either.
The amps run on dedicated cores (FM9/FM3) or CPU (Axe Fx).

These are not the "shared" CPU that you should avoid overloading...

The amps run on dedicated cores (FM9/FM3) or CPU (Axe Fx).

These are not the "shared" CPU that you should avoid overloading...
So amp blocks never contribute to high CPU, regardless of whether you have one or two, and regardless of which amps you use? Overload is only about other block types? Good to know, I wasn't clear on that.

So amp blocks never contribute to high CPU, regardless of whether you have one or two, and regardless of which amps you use? Overload is only about other block types? Good to know, I wasn't clear on that.
The things that run on dedicated cores/CPUs are not visible to us and not reflected in the reported CPU use.

Back
Top Bottom