Can anyone recommend cable solutions for the Axe-Fx III?

Sorenspete

Inspired
I'm using some pretty long Mogami gold + Neutrik instrument cables between the Fractal and the power amp. They're 10-15ft long which is obviously needlessly long. Can anyone recommend some pre-made cables for this use case? I don't want to make my own cables just yet, but I'm not against it.

I'm thinking something like this would be almost ideal.

https://btpa.com/ is highly recommended by Fractal. I have many cables from them and they're really well made.

Neutrik plugs are great when they're going to have a lot of insertion and removal cycles and possible strain on the cable at the plug. If the cables are in place most of the time then I'd use something less heavy-duty, similar to what we'd use in a good quality pedal board.

The George L cable assemblies have worked great for me for years and I'd go for those, cutting the cable a little long, so that IF there's a problem it only takes trimming off 1" from the end and inserting the cable into the plug and tightening it down again.

Last edited:
In your opinion, do you think 2ft is a good length for a rack-mounted scenario?
I’m in the process of rewiring my studio now…. thanks to the recent addition of the AXE FX 3….. It always seems to me a 2 foot cable is always a few inches too short for some things then about a foot too long for others.
What I’m going to do is use Square Plugs plugs, and good old military 550 cord and place that in the plug to get me lengths. I’ll be making custom cables but it could serve well for premade too so you don’t end up with a pile of cables that need a new home. Measure twice, cut once….

Attachments

• IMG_1483.jpeg
    IMG_1483.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
The George L cable assemblies have worked great for me for years and I'd go for those, cutting the cable a little long, so that IF there's a problem it only takes trimming off 1" from the end and inserting the cable into the plug and tightening it down again.
This is a really good choice. I did this for years.

George Ls require no soldering and if you get the right angle plugs with thumbscrews you don't need anything beyond scissors or wire cutters.

In your opinion, do you think 2ft is a good length for a rack-mounted scenario?
Depends on the rack and units. There’s no specification for where the goes-inta and goes-outta jacks are located.

If you’re thinking about the George L wiring, then you can buy a “kit” that has like 10’ of cable and a bunch of plugs and measure the lengths you need, add a couple inches, cut, attach the plugs and hook it up.

Pay attention to the instructions for attaching the plugs. I’ve seen people bitching about them and saying they’re unreliable, but, having used them since they were invented, I disagree. They’re very reliable, and the cable is very strong and really high fidelity. Heh, I’m using a 10’ cable of their thicker gauge daily for connecting to my modelers that I’ve had for probably 30 years and it sounds great. Eric Johnson uses their cabling on his rigs too. :)

Another nod to George L's cable system especially for fixed cable runs if you don't want to solder your connections. The down side to George L is they are for unbalanced signals only.

If you really want to wire up your rack the right way one needs to build the wires to the length needed for a sano install assuming you are running a patchbay! Dress them down with zip ties and mounts. Nothing worse than having to fight a mass of black spaghetti while trying to get to an in or output.

I’m in the process of rewiring my studio now…. thanks to the recent addition of the AXE FX 3….. It always seems to me a 2 foot cable is always a few inches too short for some things then about a foot too long for others.
What I’m going to do is use Square Plugs plugs, and good old military 550 cord and place that in the plug to get me lengths. I’ll be making custom cables but it could serve well for premade too so you don’t end up with a pile of cables that need a new home. Measure twice, cut once….
I have several containers that look just like that.

Back
Top Bottom