Call me lazy...returned to FW 6

macfly

Inspired
From last fall with FW5 into winter with FW6, I built really nice presets and between the FW upgrades and DynaCabs, I've gotten the best sounds I've had since I've been using modeling. Up front, I understood that FW7 would change things. From the outset I noticed that gapless was less so, and while that wasn't a dealbreaker, I have to admit it bugged me a little. Of course CPU increased and after adjustments, I could not get my kitchen sink preset that I use 90% of the time, below 81%. I was hoping that the tonal changes wouldn't be very significant and at first I didn't think they were. It may very likely be user error but after a couple of weeks working with it, things still didn't sound as good as they had. Also very likely that I've just grown very fond of those sounds I'd tweaked in FW6. So, call me lazy but I've returned to FW6 and am very happy with it. I'm not complaining. The pace and quality of upgrades, with my FX8, AX8, Axe3 and FM9 have been amazing. That said, I think I'm gonna stop here and play guitar instead of tweaking to get FW7 up to speed.

Interested if others have had any of these experiences and ready to field responses...whether positive or negative LOL

I jumped from 5.01 to 7, understanding some things would change tone-wise since version 6 introduced changes to the RV50. I use the RV50 quite a bit and noticed some things that I really don't like straight up, but I understand that I may need to re-tweak. I may go back to 5.01 until I can spend some time with 7 and getting the sound right again. Not unhappy, but just don't have time to getting a sound I had and liked. Thus is the benefits and problems of digital upgrades for anything. Will get there eventually.

From last fall with FW5 into winter with FW6, I built really nice presets and between the FW upgrades and DynaCabs, I've gotten the best sounds I've had since I've been using modeling. Up front, I understood that FW7 would change things. From the outset I noticed that gapless was less so, and while that wasn't a dealbreaker, I have to admit it bugged me a little. Of course CPU increased and after adjustments, I could not get my kitchen sink preset that I use 90% of the time, below 81%. I was hoping that the tonal changes wouldn't be very significant and at first I didn't think they were. It may very likely be user error but after a couple of weeks working with it, things still didn't sound as good as they had. Also very likely that I've just grown very fond of those sounds I'd tweaked in FW6. So, call me lazy but I've returned to FW6 and am very happy with it. I'm not complaining. The pace and quality of upgrades, with my FX8, AX8, Axe3 and FM9 have been amazing. That said, I think I'm gonna stop here and play guitar instead of tweaking to get FW7 up to speed.

Interested if others have had any of these experiences and ready to field responses...whether positive or negative LOL
I feel you. FW6 may have been the sweet spot for me also. I've contemplated going back. I really wanted gapless switching, which FW6 brought.

I'm still on 6. The updates happen often, which is GREAT support, but I'm thrilled with what I have and don't want to keep up with the FW arms race.

I get the tension between maintaining the tone of presets you may have spent years refining and also wanting to take advantage of improvements to the amps/cab and effects as well as new features/functionality. Some changes might be best served by adding or versioning blocks, and other changes just need to be implemented to improve the overall product and may require reviewing and modifying of pre-existing presets. Striking that balance and still keeping code steadily and swiftly evolving must be quite a challenge for any modeler company.

Personally, I am always psyched to see new firmware versions and unless I have gigs coming up right away, or see a bug reported in the new version that I can't live with, I tend to upgrade very soon after new releases. "Very soon" as in sometimes immediately. It is hard for me to envision a scenario where I would forego upgrades for any significant time, to maintain the sound of my existing presets. I respect that others make that choice though; I know how much work and live or studio experience can go into creating and refining them.

Last edited:
I didn't really have any issues. I did add op 3 to run my IEM and that did push 8 of my presets over the top so I had to lose an effect in those presets that I wasn't really using that much anyway so I was ok with it. Switching most of my AC TB amps to the AC 30 Brilliant was worth it alone!

I haven't seen anyone mention this before... Unless you're running presets in the CPU danger zone?
My main preset is in the high 70's. I didn't mention it because it's very subtle and its also random. Sometimes my scene changes are seamless and other times the same change will have an abruptness to it. FW 6 was smooth. About as seamless as I could've hoped for.

Same thing with my setup. Tried fw 7.0 but gone back to fw 6.0 fast. All my presets are based on the euro blue amp (clean to mean). And there was a significant change in the sound when I tried fw 7.0. (Sounded like there was more gain in the presets) I’m certain I can retweak this and make it sound top notch again. But don’t feel the need to at this moment as I think fw 6.0 is sounding already fantastic.

I tested gapless switching on fw 6 and fw 7 and did not observe any changes or have any problems. Here's a screen capture.
This switch is going between the Hiwatt and the 800. I tested 5 other combinations on fw6 vs fw 7, plus various amp channel changes, and didn't have any trouble at all.

1718395431119.png

I tested gapless switching on fw 6 and fw 7 and did not observe any changes or have any problems. Here's a screen capture.
This switch is going between the Hiwatt and the 800. I tested 5 other combinations on fw6 vs fw 7, plus various amp channel changes, and didn't have any trouble at all.

View attachment 141615
I think those reporting the issue are using high CPU presets...

I think I'd agree that gapless is slower for me and my main preset than it was in FW6. It could be that I went up a few % in CPU load from FW6 to FW7, but at this point my preset is below 80% and I still notice the gap more. I guess I need to test with some of the stock presets too.

View attachment 141615
I paid extra attention at last nights gig. The scene changes are gapless. My issue is most likely technique. I have hold functions on scenes 1-3 for CS 1-3. If I quickly tap the switch I don’t hear any abruptness.

Back
Top Bottom