cab vs. no cab

I'm going to be running my axe fx in stereo through 2 mesa 4x12 rectifier cabs

Is it better for a live application to create patches using the simulated cabs then running it through the real cabs

or does it sound better if you just use a patch with your amp of choice and effects then run that straight to your cabinet?

The generally accepted rule-of-thumb is that if you are running the AFX through a real guitar cab, then leave the cab sims off in the AFX. OTOH if you're running direct to the house or to a FRFR amp/speaker combination, then insert your favorite cab sim and let the shredding begin. There are no hard and fast rules, although this one is probably closer than most. As always, what is better is what sounds better to you. You might as well give it a try both ways and decide which you like better. It may just help give you some insight into how the real cabs and cab sims are affecting your overall tone.

Tschüß,
Jeff

Running with the cab sims on while connected to actual cabs sounds alright at low volumes, but at live levels there can be an overabundance of low end.

I've been running into real 4x12s since i got my axe last year. I tried using cab sims to dial in a basic tone but it doesn't real translate well to the real cabs. It never was worth the effort. You really need to get into a room with your gear set it to the volume you play at and dial it in. Now after playing my gear and setting up presets for it I tend to tweak at home using no cab just straight out of the amp block I've become familiar with how my speakers sound with what i give them. Then refine when i get to play at the studio. I'll say this though you are going to need a lot less high end then you think once you get up to playing volume the axe can saw your head off, the PEQ with a block around 7khz after your amp block is gonna spare you the death beam frequencies. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom