Cab Switchbox for SS Poweramp - bad idea?

sprint

Axe-Master
I'd like the option to select which set of cabs my Matrix ss power amp feeds into. I don't need to make the selection while the amp is turned on - just, before I turn the amp on, I will select which of 2 sets of cabs I want connected. Would a simple switch box (possibly home made) that switches from one set of TS jack inputs to another safely work for this? I can't seem to find an opinion on this case. I realize I could just shuffle the speaker connections directly but a switch would be more convenient in my music room. There are other solutions like Radial Cabbone but I'm not sure these are good for SS amps and they are very exoensive. If I make a home made one, is there a particular switch type that I should use to connect the amp inputs to the switchbox output options so that the amp only sees the selected cab pair and the non-selected pair are isolated completely?

Last edited:
I have the Radial Cab Bone.
I wanted to flip between my real Marshall Amp and the Axe III with a SS power amp, so I could get them as close as possible.
Even thought I have 2 identical Mesa cabs, they sound different. So in order to get it 'as close as possible', I wanted to use one cab, just like you.
I was very hesitant to try this because I just don't trust that I'm not going to blow something up.

Well, about 10 seconds into the attempt....the Cab Bone blew up. Pop noise, no sound....uh oh.
Was petrified that I blew up my Marshall, but it was fine. SS power amp and the Axe were fine. The Cab Bone....not so much.
The power amp was a Crown K2. The Cab Bone didn't like it.

I know the Cab Bone says 100 watts max, and the Crown far exceeds that. So I wasn't shocked that it blew up.
Anyway, you want to buy a slightly burnt Cab Bone? :)
(I'm sure it can be repaired, but I haven't gotten around to it yet...and I would never try it again, so it doesn't matter much if I fix it)

I have the Radial Cab Bone.
I wanted to flip between my real Marshall Amp and the Axe III with a SS power amp, so I could get them as close as possible.
Even thought I have 2 identical Mesa cabs, they sound different. So in order to get it 'as close as possible', I wanted to use one cab, just like you.
I was very hesitant to try this because I just don't trust that I'm not going to blow something up.

Well, about 10 seconds into the attempt....the Cab Bone blew up. Pop noise, no sound....uh oh.
Was petrified that I blew up my Marshall, but it was fine. SS power amp and the Axe were fine. The Cab Bone....not so much.
The power amp was a Crown K2. The Cab Bone didn't like it.

I know the Cab Bone says 100 watts max, and the Crown far exceeds that. So I wasn't shocked that it blew up.
Anyway, you want to buy a slightly burnt Cab Bone? :)
(I'm sure it can be repaired, but I haven't gotten around to it yet...and I would never try it again, so it doesn't matter much if I fix it)
interesting

actually, my use case is just to switch from one pair of L/R cabs to another from the same SS stereo power amp. I don't care about doing this on the fly - just before powering on is ok, so, if I can, I'll just build a switch box. The only thing I'm worried about is to build the switch box in such a way that each pair of cabs stays absolutely isolated from the other during operation so that there's no chance of damaging the amp - I don't know if this pristine isolation might require a special type of switch or wiring...

sorry to hear about your CabBone - could have been worse I guess. I passed on the idea of Cabbone as I'd need 2 of them and they are overpriced imo - so much so I can almost get a descent 2nd stereo power amp for the price of two of them.

interesting

actually, my use case is just to switch from one pair of L/R cabs to another from the same SS stereo power amp. I don't care about doing this on the fly - just before powering on is ok, so, if I can, I'll just build a switch box. The only thing I'm worried about is to build the switch box in such a way that each pair of cabs stays absolutely isolated from the other during operation so that there's no chance of damaging the amp - I don't know if this pristine isolation might require a special type of switch or wiring...

sorry to hear about your CabBone - could have been worse I guess. I passed on the idea of Cabbone as I'd need 2 of them and they are overpriced imo - so much so I can almost get a descent 2nd stereo power amp for the price of two of them.

Use a DPDT switch and switch both leads.

Back
Top Bottom