Buy an FX8 or a AXEII+?

Hello everyone,

I have quite a dilemma. I am considering if my best option is either the FX8 or the AXEFXII. Normally I would have gone for the Axe FX, (and I remember reading a thread where Cliff stated that you probably don't need the FX8 if you already have an AXE II+). However, a couple of people have stated that the unity gain of the FX8, as well as the optimized op-amps and circuitry make it ideal for playing with tube amps, which I prefer to do live.

In the past I've tried lesser modellers in 4CM and found gain staging (and gain guessing) in trying to figure out the correct levels in input - output from the unit to approximate unity gain into the amp such a mind numbing hassle that I decided against it. It really sucks to try to quickly go from 4CM to guitar straight into amp to try guess what send and return levels on the unit approximate the actual levels of the amp in a none 4CM set up.

Thus the FX8 looks like a unit sent from the heavens with its' transparent optimization for working with an amp, no fussing comparatively.

On the other hand, I've read a recent thread stating that the DSP limitations of the FX8 in comparison to the AXE can be apparent depending on reverbs. I am a reverb guy, and worry about CPU limitations I may encounter.

The reason being, I could afford an Axe-FX II+ instead and would happily do so for its' amps and greater processing power if it wasn't for the 4cm optimized friendly nature of the FX8. The scenes are cool as well, and I look forward to being able to use the unit as a pedal board. However, that is not the main selling point to me when compared to the advantages of the Axe FX's amp sims and greater horse power. My biggest reason for getting the FX8 is the unity gain, and optimized circuitry and op-amps to play transparently with tune amps in 4CM. A couple of posts by users who have both an Axe FX and FX8 seem to indicate that they were not as happy with the AXE in 4CM as with the FX8.

So... Thoughts, workarounds? Dissenting opinions?

Can the Axe-FX II work just as transparently in 4CM? Obviously its' been utilized that way for years to great effect by the likes of Via and Petrucci. However, they also go for more processed, though still great tones. I like those types of tones but I also like more vintage type tones coming from the amps. Of course those could still be easily possible with the AXE-FX so I am getting side tracked.

Is the FX8 really an improvement in its' optimization to where side by side, I would feel that the FX8 is more transparent with my amp (and easier to use) than with the Axe FXII+?

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom