Burstbucker 1 & 2 Pole Spacing

Toopy14

Axe-Master
Does anyone know off-hand, if the pole spacing on the BB 1 & 2 is the same and that both are spaced as per the neck Humbucker spacing? From the information I can find, both do have the same neck spacing.

Considering buying a set of BB1 and BB2 pickups to try in my Goldtop, but they don't have covers.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Both my 1 and 2 are 49.2mm.
Thanks very much for the reply!

So that's the neck spacing, correct? I believe bridge covers are 50 mm.

What's your opinion of the 1 and 2? I've been experimenting with pickups in my Goldtop Traditional. Started with 57/57+, Seth Lover, Burstbucker Pro and now back to to 57/57+. I thought about the Custombuckers, but I found an inexpensive set of BB 1 and 2's.

According to the Gibson site, their neck covers have 50 mm spacing and the bridge is 52 mm. That makes no sense, given the BB1, which is usually used in the neck position, is 44.9 mm.

"An original OEM replacement or restoration pickup cover that fits perfectly over any neck position Gibson humbucker, with a measurement of 50 mm between the centers of the outside poles."
https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/PRPC-Neck/PRPC-010

What's your opinion of the 1 and 2? I've been experimenting with pickups in my Goldtop Traditional. Started with 57/57+, Seth Lover, Burstbucker Pro and now back to to 57/57+. I thought about the Custombuckers, but I found an inexpensive set of BB 1 and 2's.
I'll check with a caliper later, BB1 in the neck sounds ok to me but the BB2 i find a little brittle, think a higher cap value will sort it

When I was changing pickups a lot a few years ago, all the neck position humbuckers were 50 mm, and the bridge position humbuckers were 50 mm as well, unless you have a trem guitar, which would require a 53 mm pickup…I think it’s still the same now.

Typically the 'vintage' style Gibson pickups (BBs etc.) have the same spacing on neck and bridge and you can use neck covers. If aftermarket brand then it's often called 'vintage' spacing, but yea, best to just measure if going aftermarket.

Never played BB1 or 2, but what I see/hear on YouTube sounds nice. Have early Pros when they were labeled AL V (around '05). Pros are hotter. So depends on what you like.
I got some MHS II that I really like when it comes to lower output. For vintage growl I like Duncan's MJ's Magic. They're the unofficial SkinnerBursts which are my absolute favorite. Similar to R9 CustomBuckers but more bottom end and super tight.

Both definitely 49.2mm centre of E to E which i believe is known as 'Standard Spacing'. there are variations, but lots of info on the LP forums. I've not tried any of the ones you mention although I have 500T in the bridge of my goldie and think its going to have to come out. I have a set of Monty's Pafs in another one and they are spot on, great pickup winder. Also a couple of sets of Wizz Paf clones from Alex, a winder in Croatia which are really good too.

I have a 2019 Traditional that came stock with the BB 1 & 2. I have never felt the need to change them. I have had a Studio and an Epiphone with the 57+. IMHO, the 57+ sounds thinner. The 57+ sounded better in the Epiphone than the Studio. I also owned a 19 Classic with 61R & T and they were basically identical except had just a hair more gain. I would say if you wanted a more thicker/creamier tone than the 57s then go with the BB 1 & 2.

I contacted Gibson and received the following reply;

"Thanks for contacting Gibson Brands! I'm happy to provide some clarity on this. The Burstbuckers, being PAF replicas, feature 50 mm spacing and would require neck humbucker covers for both pickups. I have included a link to the correct part below.

If there's anything else that I can assist you with, please feel free to reach out."

I contacted Gibson and received the following reply;

"Thanks for contacting Gibson Brands! I'm happy to provide some clarity on this. The Burstbuckers, being PAF replicas, feature 50 mm spacing and would require neck humbucker covers for both pickups. I have included a link to the correct part below.

If there's anything else that I can assist you with, please feel free to reach out."
ahemm.........biggrin.gif

number one win GIF by V5MT

Fwiw I just installed a BB2 in an arch top, and replaced its stock cover with one from my parts box, a gold t-top cover off an early 70s LPC neck pickup. Absolutely perfect fit.

Back
Top Bottom