Browser preset display

Vio

Experienced
Just got the gift of tone #8 (THANKS!!!) and noticed this.
It's OK since moving the mouse cursor over the presets names is shows the actual location and the name of the file, but from a programmer perspective I think you can do more...
Since you already parsed the file(s) in that folder to read the preset name, you can also check what device is this for, and mark it as such (say, an icon with a 3, a 9 or an X)
I know the presets are compatible between devices but some devices (just like in life) are more equal than others...
1670510136812.png

@Vio,

Are you utilizing a Mac, or Windows machine? Reason for my asking is because when you download a preset bundle with Mac, you'll receive a folder that contains the presets that delineate what FAS device the bundle is to be used with. It's likely something else with Windows, because (sorry) it's Windows.

@Vio,

Are you utilizing a Mac, or Windows machine? Reason for my asking is because when you download a preset bundle with Mac, you'll receive a folder that contains the presets that delineate what FAS device the bundle is to be used with. It's likely something else with Windows, because (sorry) it's Windows.
I was specific to the gift of tone #8 and what is displayed in the editor after you browse to the specific folder where presets for different devices are found.
1670891885789.png

Screenshot above is from windows but it's the same on mac.
The filename specifies the device and minimum revision number but inside those syx files I bet there's info about the
-preset name
-device the preset was saved from
-revision of the device above

Having the info above, the names displayed inside the Fractal Editor Preset Browser when navigating to a specific folder could be more user friendly.
Again, not a biggie since once you hoover over the preset name you can see the full path of the file and file name.
:D

I was specific to the gift of tone #8 and what is displayed in the editor after you browse to the specific folder where presets for different devices are found.
View attachment 112575

Screenshot above is from windows but it's the same on mac.
The filename specifies the device and minimum revision number but inside those syx files I bet there's info about the
-preset name
-device the preset was saved from
-revision of the device above

Having the info above, the names displayed inside the Fractal Editor Preset Browser when navigating to a specific folder could be more user friendly.
Again, not a biggie since once you hoover over the preset name you can see the full path of the file and file name.
:D
I guess there might be additional info; my question, not trying to be rude, is why would you need that? Usually when downloading a Gift of Tone bundle, I merely open the folder, drag the FM9 .syx file to the desktop (along with any readme documentation) and close/delete the remaining downloaded folder. The FM9 file only because I only own an FM9, like many others.

Again, not trying to be rude here, but once it's in your file folders, unless there were some malicious file you'd need to be aware of, I don't think you'd need to know the details of what you're asking. It might be proprietary information, so, it were me, I'd just be happy for the preset and not worry about what else there might be within the .syx file.

It sounds like you didn't fill your stocking full enough this year with things you had wanted. Gotta laugh here, but when someone gives me a free gift, I just express my gratitude and be content with that. If it's food, I usually share. If it's something of value, I take care of it and try to keep it in good condition. I usually don't find myself reaching into my stocking looking for something else.

(Except one year when I wanted a Boss BF-1 Flanger. Dad bought me an array of 5 DOD pedals, but had no clue what I liked regards effects. Needless to say, I was miffed that Dad had spent serious cash on a homemade effects board, when all I'd asked for was the Flanger. Mom talked me down and said I should be happy for the time. Difficult lesson to swallow, but it helped me see why not to expect more than what is promised or given.)

I guess there might be additional info; my question, not trying to be rude, is why would you need that? Usually when downloading a Gift of Tone bundle, I merely open the folder, drag the FM9 .syx file to the desktop (along with any readme documentation) and close/delete the remaining downloaded folder. The FM9 file only because I only own an FM9, like many others.

Again, not trying to be rude here, but once it's in your file folders, unless there were some malicious file you'd need to be aware of, I don't think you'd need to know the details of what you're asking. It might be proprietary information, so, it were me, I'd just be happy for the preset and not worry about what else there might be within the .syx file.

It sounds like you didn't fill your stocking full enough this year with things you had wanted. Gotta laugh here, but when someone gives me a free gift, I just express my gratitude and be content with that. If it's food, I usually share. If it's something of value, I take care of it and try to keep it in good condition. I usually don't find myself reaching into my stocking looking for something else.

(Except one year when I wanted a Boss BF-1 Flanger. Dad bought me an array of 5 DOD pedals, but had no clue what I liked regards effects. Needless to say, I was miffed that Dad had spent serious cash on a homemade effects board, when all I'd asked for was the Flanger. Mom talked me down and said I should be happy for the time. Difficult lesson to swallow, but it helped me see why not to expect more than what is promised or given.)
A nice-to-have feature is just what the name implies.
If you don't see a benefit in implementing the browser behavior as I suggested, that's fine with me. That's the beauty of being different, imagine how life would be if we would all think the same way.
I don't see how your 3rd paragraph relate to me but that's fine too.

Back
Top Bottom