Brand new FM3 problems after FW 8.00

chakkale

Hi there, I just received my brand new FM3 and it was working fine when it came with fw 7.00, but after a while I wanted to upgrade the firmware. And after the upgrade it took a really long time reading stuff from fm3 on fm3 edit so I left it open overnight to not mess anything, But when I come back it was unresponsive so I power cycled it and it started getting stuck on loading screen. I got into emergency menu as suggested and tried fw update from there, but now the emergency screen is stuck at the end of receiving firmware image loading bar. Any sugggestions ? I haven't even got to properly use it yet :(

As I mentioned, I already tried emergency menu recovery, and also when I do a memory test on the emergency menu, it says DDR Failed.

As @Greg Ferguson says, raise a Support ticket with Fractal. These issues are rare, but when they happen (and it happened to me), Fractal Support and the distributor in my country were brilliant.

A RAM failure isn't good, so this likely needs vendor intervention. You could try a different USB cable or port (or PC). See if it can take any FW, and if you can get say FW7 to stick, you could roll forward again. I'd suggest you need to be in the Emergency Boot Loader, and I heard it is best to load new FW when in a blank preset.

Also, if doing a FW update use only FM3 Edit or Fractal Bot one at a time. Dont have both open.

I contacted the support and they suggested the same things. I will try everything you mentioned such as different PC, cable, ports etc. but I hope that DDR Failed error is not about a faulty ram chip.

I tried everything including using a mac to try again but I think this is a hardware issue, every time I try to flash a FW it gets stuck at the end.

Attachments

• photo_2024-08-09_20-37-15.jpg
    photo_2024-08-09_20-37-15.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 24
  • photo_2024-08-09_21-38-08.jpg
    photo_2024-08-09_21-38-08.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 23
Does anyone have any information about which rams are used in FM3 MKII ? Also are the rams soldered or it's slotted like pc motherboards? I think if the ram is the issue it should be easily replaceable if it's not soldered ?

The thing is I bought it from US via a friend but now it's in my country, support gave me the number of the distributor here and I'm speaking with them also. But the distributor here is a small business and their technician is on vacation right now. But he also said the ram should be replaced. They will contact Fractal support also about what to do. I also had an Axe-Fx 2 and never had any issues with it that's why I trusted the QA of Fractal but I guess I'm quite unlucky...

Last edited:
I contacted the support and they suggested the same things. I will try everything you mentioned such as different PC, cable, ports etc. but I hope that DDR Failed error is not about a faulty ram chip.
I believe it IS exactly that... But you need support to confirm.

The thing is I bought it from US via a friend but now it's in my country, support gave me the number of the distributor here and I'm speaking with them also. But the distributor here is a small business and their technician is on vacation right now. But he also said the ram should be replaced. They will contact Fractal support also about what to do. I also had an Axe-Fx 2 and never had any issues with it that's why I trusted the QA of Fractal but I guess I'm quite unlucky...
You're probably going to have to wait... Or pay for shipping to/from the US and wait for that.

Good luck. I've never seen anyone report this issue so I suspect it's a very rare scenario.

Back
Top Bottom