Bought a Les Paul Junior!

Philip

Inspired
Just got a Les Paul Jr. last week and have been playing it to death. It is a 1958 VOS from the Custom Shop. TV Model. Double Cut. The neck is huge. Sound is awesome. Really having fun with it. My first venture into P90 land. Really cool sounds and so simple- one pup, on tone knob, and one volume knob. Simplicity can be bliss sometimes.

-Phil

I want something with a p90 again, used to have an old 60's epiphone with a single dog ear p90 that ripped... miss that thing.

I have a Collings 290, which is a LP Special equivalent. I love it, and I love P90's! It's nice having the tight, piano-like bass of a single coil along with the meaty mids and sweet highs you typically get with humbuckers. It's not exactly like either, but seems to have the "best of both".

Enjoy your new LP Jr. I hear Gibson is putting great pickups in them!

Terry.

I have an original '59 Special in TV yellow that is absolutely a killer sounding guitar. I love P90's although this is my only guitar with them currently. I like Jr.'s even more, but never found one in my price range- all the vintage stuff has climbed well beyond what I could afford. A close friend has a mid-50's Jr. (can't remember the year) that may be the best sounding guitar I've ever played. Sounds incredible when used for tracking.. baseball bat for a neck.

290s are exceptionally sweet guitars!

I sold my i35 and 290 several years ago when I had some unexpected medical expenses that needed to be covered. Hope some day to get another i35

here is a picture of my old one - man I miss that guitar.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

I have a Collings 290, which is a LP Special equivalent. I love it, and I love P90's! It's nice having the tight, piano-like bass of a single coil along with the meaty mids and sweet highs you typically get with humbuckers. It's not exactly like either, but seems to have the "best of both".

Enjoy your new LP Jr. I hear Gibson is putting great pickups in them!

Terry.

Nice! I will one day own some form of TV Junior. Gary Moore tore it up with a burst in Thin Lizzy at the Sydney Opera House show from I believe 1978. Some of those P90's are fireballs.

I sold my i35 and 290 several years ago when I had some unexpected medical expenses that needed to be covered. Hope some day to get another i35

here is a picture of my old one - man I miss that guitar.

I feel for ya LVC. My 290 is the finest guitar I've put fingers to. There's something very special in how Collings makes and sets up their necks. My 290 has a really rich voice acoustically and plugged in. I have consistently read "wow" postings from i35 owners, and I hope you have the chance to get another one.

There's something special about the combination of a great slab mahogany body and neck, with P90's. The notes seem to have a lot of character and complexity, and they're fat! Leaving off the maple cap seems to allow for more, or a different kind of, resonance.

Terry.

What I am really digging about the P90 is the punch of it, but it still has the sharpness. Just awesome. Not as versatile sounding as many other guitars, but very cool in the right moment!

Wow.. there is not one thing about that guitar I don't like. Love the white knobs.. top is ridiculously cool. I live right here where he makes them and I've never played one of the 335 models. Played very few Collings in general.

Wow.. there is not one thing about that guitar I don't like. Love the white knobs.. top is ridiculously cool. I live right here where he makes them and I've never played one of the 335 models. Played very few Collings in general.

she played as good as she looked.

I will get another Ice Tea i35 at some point.

she played as good as she looked.

I will get another Ice Tea i35 at some point.

Lovely i35 you had there! Did you ever try any i35LC? I compared it once to a ES-335 CS. They are similarly priced here, but i prefered the 335.

How does your new ES-336 compare to the i35 you had?

Back
Top Bottom