Boss Katana MK2 50 vs Fender FR-12 volume

withfoam

Inspired
I was curious if anyone has insights or thoughts as to why my Fender FR-12 can't seem to hang with my other guitarist's Boss Katana MK2 50W.
The amount of sheer volume he can produce from that thing far outweighs how much my Fender FR-12 can go to. We experienced this recently when we played an outdoor gig and just needed some more volume, as the amps weren't going through the PA.

Once I get to 3 o'clock on my FR-12, it starts to clip. I'm at around noon on my FM9 and have gone through all output levels and input levels for the FM9.

Just curious if anyone has experienced this or has thoughts. Thanks!

No, I replaced the preamp with the Archangel v2 by @WKSmith. The volume isn't any different though between the original and his. I at least get a clipping LED on the volume dial now though.

Yeah, the Katana's are crazy loud. Even with earplugs I'm like, "damn that's loud!"

Is your FM9 Output Level set to -10 or +4?

That will make a big difference.

Unless you're clipping the input of FR-12, turn the FM9 up...

The katana likely has the speaker impedance matched to the amp .
The FR would would be 300 watts (for the 12" speaker) if it had 4ohm drivers. As it is .. it is only 150 watts into the stock 8 ohm speaker.

The output of the FR preamps into the class D amp module is also unbalanced. A balanced preamp output would raise the output significantly higher before clipping.

The FR would would be 300 watts (for the 12" speaker) if it had 4ohm drivers. As it is .. it is only 150 watts into the stock 8 ohm speaker.

The output of the FR preamps into the class D amp module is also unbalanced. A balanced preamp output would raise the output significantly higher before clipping.
Interesting! That's good info.

Any idea on a full range 4 ohm replacement speaker? Asking for a friend :D

Any idea on a full range 4 ohm replacement speaker? Asking for a friend :D
That is exactly the problem. The Celestion and Eminence full range offerings are 8ohm. Pretty much all of 'em.

Similar problem with the alto/headrush gimmick. Those LF drivers are 2ohm. On an amp rated for 4ohms. Which is why they get so hot and sound so DJ kinda boomy.

The level of stupidity in the FRFR space is monumental.

Last edited:
That is exactly the problem. The Celestion and Eminence full range offerings are 8ohm. Pretty much all of 'em.

Similar problem with the alto/headrush gimmick. Those LF drivers are 2ohm. On an amp rated for 4ohms. Which is why they get so hot and sound so DJ kinda boomy.

The level of stupidity in the FRFR space is monumental.
Maybe replace the stock speaker with a Celestion F12 and wire up a speaker out for an extension cab running a second cab in parallel at 4ohms total?

Maybe replace the stock speaker with a Celestion F12 and wire up a speaker out for an extension cab running a second cab in parallel at 4ohms total?
I have been thinking that a f12(or the ftx1225) and a fx200 co-ax on a 4ohm amp could be a cool combination.
.. Perhaps even open back for the f12 and the recommended thiele tuned fx200 both coupled as a pair.

Treble plays a huge factor in cutting through the mix...
I once loaned a friend my 15 watt solid state Vox amp to jam on stage with us, 2 other guitarist with 50-100 watt tube amps a Bass and drums...I told to crank the highs and volume and keep the low on 0.
I could hear his leads through the mix clearly.
If you are playing in a lower register than him, that would make a huge difference.

I have 2 FR10's and I had the Katana 50 Mk2...I would think they would be close to the same SPL.

Back
Top Bottom