boss fv 50 for volume - any experience?

etzel

Inspired
in a month i'll have my Ground Control...am looking right now for a pedal for volume control. do not need anything fancy just something reliable and to not break on me after a month of use.

i had on offer for a Boss FV 50, but not sure...can they do the job? does anyone have experience with this pedal?

I find they are not sturdy. My friend bought one around the same time that I bought my Ernie Ball VP, his one has gone loose and sometimes it doesn't even work properly. I wouldn't recommend it if you're using it a lot - reliability may be an issue. My Ernie Ball has never let me down and is a very solid pedal.

I have two of these which I've had for 15 years.

Very reliable (maybe the old ones were made better?) but I don't actually like them that much and wouldn't use them with the axe anymore.

I just find that the "tension" in the pedal is too loose; very hard to place accurately and they tend to move slightly when you remove your foot if you're not very careful.

I got home after some cruise ship work with the axe (where subtle movement is a BIG problem!) and brought an FV500 which is much better. The EB, Rocktron etc pedals are all good options too I believe.

:cool:

Chris

ps - Takamine - where are you located? Good to see another axe-fx neighbour popping up here.

Yeah the loose tension is also one of the reasons why I didn't get the FV50s. Was considering the new FV500 as well but probably need a controller first.

Chris, I'm located in Brisbane. Haven't had much chance to play around with the Ultra as yet. Been too busy with uni work right now, and also haven't had a chance to get a MIDI interface yet so I'm still running on version 5.15. Looking forward to the day where I can just sit down and go through all the effects and parameters. At this stage, I'm still pretty new to it all.

Back on topic, the Ernie balls are good, I've used the small version (6180) and the larger version (6166) and they've been solid.

As another Aussie piping in...

+1 on the Roland EV-5 controllers.

Out of all the controllers I've tried, this one was the nicest and worked the best for me. It was the most linear and once I got a stereo extension lead and a male to male to be able to send it to the Axe from front of stage, it has been the best I've tried so far. It also is cool how it is easy to set. I like the sweep of it and the stiffness of the pedal is just right for setting a cocked wah :)

I'll be getting more of them once the Roland sale comes up here in Canberra (Pro Audio is the importer I think??).

TimmyM

Back
Top Bottom