SOLVED: Boss FS-7 Behavior changed

shep

Inspired
I've been running 26.00 Beta 3 since it was posted. I've been using a FS-7 to control Preset Inc only and Scene Inc only perfectly for a few months. I'm running the FS-7 via a stereo send/ return cable into the FC-6 Switch 1 and 2 connector. Mono Tip is in Aof the FS-7, Mono Ring is in B. I took my rig into the living room to dial in my new LFR 212's and it still worked correctly. I brought it all back into my studio and now it's jacked up. Part 1 of the issue - The A side no longer increments the preset. I have not unplugged the cable to the Switch 1-2 and FS-7 tip/ring at all, only the FASLINK cable from the Axe Fx iii to move the board. I replaced the FASLINK and send/ return cables to no effect. I changed the send/ return cable to using 2 send/ return cables with A into Switch 1-2 and B into Switch 3-4and re-learned, then reversed the 2 cables going into A and B, re-learned - exact same response as original setup, so I think I'm about bad cable disproven.

I went back to original cabling setup after restart. I went into MIDI/Remote to re-learn the Preset Inc parameter (switched it to NONE beforehand), watching closely what it said this time. Oddly, while plugged into Switch 1-2 (Should read FC 1 SW 1) it reads Pedal 2.. When plugged into the Pedal 3 or 4 connector on the FC-6 it still learns the 'A pedal' as 'Pedal 2'. I reset it to None and switched the cable to Switch 3-4. Re-learn shows it as Pedal 2.

Meanwhile on FS-7-B pedal, It learns as FC1 SW 2 - correct. No matetr how I set the polarity or momentary/ latch switches on FS-7 the Scenes scroll 2-3 at a time, stop a second and do it again. It won't stop. Also, with the polarity as normal and using momentary settings, I could press on B and hold it and it wouldn't change until I let go of it. Now it changes on press no matter the settings. I tried updating to the 26.00 release version to no change. Call me waaay outta my depth here. Help me if you can, I'm feeling down And I do appreciate you being 'round...

I took the FS-7 out of the FC-6 and used the stereo cable to put Button A into the Axe Fx Exp 1 connector. When I learn Preset Inc from Button A, it actually changes to Pedal 1 and changes the preset. The Button would not learn with the cable. I took the 'RING' mono connector out and put a 1/4" guitar cable from it to the Exp 2 connector. Learned it and it works. Good news is it seems the pedal and send/return cable work. Great except part of the reason I got the FC-6 is to not have to run the extra cables. Wasted day. Damn.

I took the FS-7 out of the FC-6 and used the stereo cable to put Button A into the Axe Fx Exp 1 connector. When I learn Preset Inc from Button A, it actually changes to Pedal 1 and changes the preset. The Button would not learn with the cable. I took the 'RING' mono connector out and put a 1/4" guitar cable from it to the Exp 2 connector. Learned it and it works. Good news is it seems the pedal and send/return cable work. Great except part of the reason I got the FC-6 is to not have to run the extra cables. Wasted day. Damn.
The FC-6 jacks are TRS and each supports one expression pedal or 2 switches.

Use a TRS to TRS cable from your dual switch to a single pedal jack on the FC-6 and set the correct settings for two switches.

I always had athe stereo end of the send/return cable in the FC-6 . Fully Stereo 1/4" cable being used now - I put tone end in FS-7 B (A+B) jack and plugged in to pedal 2 on the FC-6. Went in to learn the A button for preset inc - it shows up as Pedal 2 but does not increment up. But it does increment up in multples the SCENES - there was nothing learned on Scene Inc when I tested this. I have 3 trs 1/4" cables - it would increment no matter which I used. I also tried it on all 3 pedal jacks on the FC-6, none inc up via the A button. The B button to inc up SCENES learns as FC 1 Pedal 2. It also increments up in multiple scenes at a time. It varies how many scenes it changes -2,3,4,7. Random.

If I put any of the stereo cables from A+B into Switch 1-2 and learn, A shows up as pedal 2(?). B shows up as FC 1 SW 1 and B works exactly how it should. It's very weird because plugging the stereo cable from only the A jack straight into Exp 1 on the box learns as Pedal 1 and works as it should. B will when plugged into EXP 2, leared as Pedal 2. The thing that won't work, whether plugged into a FC-6 Pedal jack or Switch 1-2 3-4 jack is Button A to inc presets.

Last edited:
I shot video of plugging the stereo cable from the FS-7 A+B jack into Pedal 4 on the FC-6. The 2nd video the cable is plugged into Switch 1-2.
Pedal 4 will not learn button A. Pedal 4 button B switches scenes in a random amount on each press.
Switch 1-2 learns Button A as Pedal 2. How's that possible?
Switch 1-2 learns button B as FC 1 SW 1 and functions perfectly.
Using Pedal 4.mp4
Using Switch 1-2.mp4

Further, I put the cable in Switch 3-4. It learned B correctly, but every press of B moves the scene 2 scenes, not 1. And it doesn't use the reversed polarity to make the scene change on button release, it changes on button press. This is gonna send me to the cuckoo's nest..

Last edited:
I checked - all 4 switches are set to normally closed/momentary break and to follow hardware. I ensured I had no stand in switches set. I set this up as a stand in switch on the preset. On Layout 6 and PP#4 is set to Preset Inc on FC-6 Switch 4. It shows up on FC-6 switch 4 and increments the preset. But it still doesn't work pressing the FS-7 A button. From all I've seen thus far, this still comes down to the fact when I learn that A button of the FS-7 to control preset increment, it says it's Pedal 2, and its not plugged into Pedal 2 - nothing is. SCENE Inc learned B as FC 1 SW 2, so shouldn't PRESET Inc when learned be FC 1 SW 1? but it always Pedal 2, and that's whether I use a single stereo cable or a insert cable (both do the same thing per the Axe Manual and the FC-7 manual). Bottom line - the Axe Fx isn't learning Switch 2 of Switch 1-2 on the FC-6 as such - it learns it's Pedal 2.
Please believe me when I tell you that I have read, re-read and looked at videos til I'm blue. I am doing the diligence. Thanks much

Last edited:
If you manually set it to FC1 switch 1 or whatever, does it work? Forget about the Learn function.
Hi Chris, big thanks to you and unix-guy. I just got this sorted! From your video I found that I don't have to eat a FC-6 switch because the 6 extra ones for a FC-12 that are greyed out still work! I got the base stand in switch info from unix-guy. I unplugged the stereo cable and thought about plugging the insert back in, decided not to. When I did I guess that cleared the learned functions, which made both A and B on the FS-7 work as they always had prior. I thank you for always being willing to help. I have struggled a lot with this product and love the FAS family of pros here.

So now that I got these per preset control stand in switches working, I thought I could go the easy route of overrides for all my presets because they will never change and are needed in every preset. The FS-7 doesn't function using these 'outside the FC-6 box' overrides, though. Is it because they are outside the 6 buttons of the FC-6?

I so don't get this, unix.. smh at myself how I was a IBEW Comtech for twenty years yet how this thing works just blows right by me no matter how how many times I read and how many videos I watch. I always use the per preset layout. I put these switches on the FC PP Definitions list as #4 and #5. Is that wrong out of the gate? If they are global by default how do I implement them? Thanks yet again. You've been a tremendous help, sir.

I so don't get this, unix.. smh at myself how I was a IBEW Comtech for twenty years yet how this thing works just blows right by me no matter how how many times I read and how many videos I watch. I always use the per preset layout. I put these switches on the FC PP Definitions list as #4 and #5. Is that wrong out of the gate? If they are global by default how do I implement them? Thanks yet again. You've been a tremendous help, sir.
My misunderstanding... I thought you were using per-preset overrides.

I don't use the per preset layout so I don't want to steer you wrong there, but I think those switches are also per preset and not global.

I put my stand-in switches on a layout that I never use.

My misunderstanding... I thought you were using per-preset overrides.

I don't use the per preset layout so I don't want to steer you wrong there, but I think those switches are also per preset and not global.

I put my stand-in switches on a layout that I never use.
I looked back at Chris's video at the master layout. I didn't follow that before but I guess that would be global. Even if it's not it totally works on every preset. One of tyhese days I'll set this stratightforward like how everyday guitar players would. My situation is just so demanding from playing and singing every song I need this to be as automated as possible, rarely looking down. Scenes (and gapless) are a Godsend for a guy who came to a III from an Ultra. I owe you and Chris each a coffee, thanks brothers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom