Bluetooth midi with iPad and Airstep???

pneil2

Inspired
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone’s doing this here. I’m trying to get things setup but not having any luck yet…

I have an Airstep foot controller combo that i use the send midi to my FM9. It is used for continuous controllers, occasional preset selection, tap tempo and tuner activation.

I also have the Airstep combo connected to BandHelper on my iPad for song page forward/back. This is a Bluetooth midi connection.

I’d like to have the selection of a song on the iPad send a Bluetooth midi program change message to the Airstep, which would then forward it to the fm9 and change to the preset for that song.

Any advice would be appreciated. Everything seems to be configured but no joy so far…

TIA

Yeah, I set that up and my midi monitor on the IPad says I’m sending midi, but I don’t see any activity at the Fractal.

I wish the fractal had a midi monitor function that logged what it receives.

Yeah, I set that up and my midi monitor on the IPad says I’m sending midi, but I don’t see any activity at the Fractal.

I wish the fractal had a midi monitor function that logged what it receives.
If you send those exact commands (the ones that the iPad is sending) directly from the Airstep, does the Fractal respond appropriately?

It’s hard to tell if if’s exactly the same commands since the format of how you enter the data is different between the two devices. It also looks like the Airstep “forward” is intended to forward specific commands rather than just passing everything on (like a normal midi merge”. I’ve got midi cables incoming to go directly from the iPad to the FM9 so I can test some things independently.

That would have been my next suggestion. If that works directly with the FM9, you might consider using a midi merge box to pass the commands from the iPad.

I use my fm3 with an Airstep and forscore on iPad.
it works like a charm.

Since it’s on a fixed pedalboard and didn’t wanted any problems during gigs, the Airstep was linked to the fm3 by a midi cable and not a Bluetooth dongle( now also but I created a loop with midi fm3 and midi Airstep to have custom cs midi).

The forscore app sends midi program change and hex commands for cc ( I does not send cc, maybe band helper does) specified on each song sheet.
So each time I choose a song I’ve got the right preset/scene/effects required for the start of the song.

Can you tell the exact setup?

Edit : I also have a bt page turner for the iPad

I had it working at one point, had to use midimittr i think it was called to get them to talk. I used and still use the xvive bluetooth midi dongle thingy. Now I have ableton now doing my switching with the xvive. But it was nice with the ipad, i used a setlistmaker app, and when clicking on the song it changed patches.

I use my fm3 with an Airstep and forscore on iPad.
it works like a charm.

Since it’s on a fixed pedalboard and didn’t wanted any problems during gigs, the Airstep was linked to the fm3 by a midi cable and not a Bluetooth dongle( now also but I created a loop with midi fm3 and midi Airstep to have custom cs midi).

The forscore app sends midi program change and hex commands for cc ( I does not send cc, maybe band helper does) specified on each song sheet.
So each time I choose a song I’ve got the right preset/scene/effects required for the start of the song.

Can you tell the exact setup?

Edit : I also have a bt page turner for the iPad
So, the Airstep combo is on a pedalboard that’s wired to the FM9 with 5 pin din cables. There are a couple of expression pedals that are plugged into the Airstep for Wah, volume, etc. The iPad is connected to the Airstep via Bluetooth bluetooth midi is used to scroll through songs in Bandhelper. A couple of Airstep switches handle tap tempo, tuner, etc. The midi out from the FM9 goes back to the pedalboard to switch patches on a Roland guitar synth pedal.

I’ve been using the song Setlist mode of the FM9 for live stuff, but it’s pretty inflexible. If we want to do a request, I have to switch set lists, find the right song, and then do the same thing to get back to where we were,

I want to create individual patches for each song and just allow the midi from BandHelper (song selection) to select the right preset for the song.

It’ll be more presets to manage but much faster and simpler on stage.

Back
Top Bottom