Block\sound emulating the BOSS OC-3 Super Octaver?

YOGA64

Inspired
Hello, new member here.

I just signed up on the AX8 waiting list.

I'm curious if anyone has a setting/sound emulating the BOSS OC-3 Super Octaver.

What I mean is, I don't know if it is possible to achieve the same effect with the pitch block.

The peculiar (and very useful) feature of the BOSS pedal is that you can set the RANGE of the octave effect.

i.e. you could decide to set it so only the low E up to its octave get the effect, more or less only the low E and A strings get the effect.
I use this so I can play fingerstyle, and walk my bass lines (they get "octaved"), while comping chords on the higher strings (they don't get the doubling effect).

Thanks for your help, really hopeful it can be done.....:confused:

Another possibility is to use the Ring Modulator in Tracking mode to make it operate as an octaver.
You can adjust the range in which it works.

Thanks for your help, have you tried it?

Which one works best as far as tracking and sound quality in your experience?

The BOSS pedal in set to Poly shifting for this application to work.

I have used (and use) the Ring Mod.
Haven't experimented yet with the Pitch detector.

Thank you, most helpful.

Now, if I only could make the looper start and stop with midi cc to my Beat Buddy set as the master clock, my whole solo guitar rig would be replaced............:cool:

Another possibility is to use the Ring Modulator in Tracking mode to make it operate as an octaver.
You can adjust the range in which it works.
Any chance you might share said ring modulator block? I have messed with the pitch block but have been kind of underwhelmed at what I am getting with it. I can guarantee it's probably operator error.

I am not yek, but how i would look at it is: low e on a guitar is about 82Hz so e at the 7th fret a string is about 165Hz. octave down is .500 on the frequency multiplier in the ring modulator and @yek indicated to use tracking mode. then i dont know if i would use filter infront or back to reduce in and/or out to get the wanted range, would use the blocks in parallel with the main signal to be able to control it in front or back of some sorts.

Ok, I tried and tried, but there is NO WAY to get the AX-8 to work like a BOSS OC-3 in the fashion described in the thread.

Too bad, I'll just have to stick with my original pedal.....

If I understand correctly the OP you have just to drop in a pitch block with the shifting you need and then attack a modifier to the block mix.

The modifier needs to be a very steep curve, something like this \ so it is going to be full mix (remember to configure min and max) on the lower notes and drop to min on the higher notes.

Sorry, the shifting down an octave needs to be poliphonic, and I've tried EVERYTHING, it just doesn't work...:(

Please , prove me wrong, and post a block that works like that....:)

Sorry, the shifting down an octave needs to be poliphonic, and I've tried EVERYTHING, it just doesn't work...:(

Please , prove me wrong, and post a block that works like that....:)
This is laziness.

It works and you can adjust how low you want to go in a poliphonic way. Putting a little effort the same principle applies for high notes only and other intervals.

Not laziness, simply, I haven't been ABLE to do it, would you care to help me out with it?

Gratitude coming your way.....

Gotcha, I have an FXII, so I can't give you the file, but I can tell you how to build your block.

Add the pitch block where you need and make it sound as you want. Take a note of the mix control value.

Attach a modifier to the mix control.

Set the modifier source to pitch, the min value to 0 and the max value to your current mix value.

Use the slope, scale and offset value to get a curve as steep as possible, something like ‾‾ \__

By moving the curve left and right (with the offset control IIRC) you will choose up to wich note the mix will be high, you can finetune it by playing and looking where the dot goes.

Maybe, you could take a different route towards the goal

Use two rows in the grid. In row 1, you add a very steep low pass filter (block) at 185 Hz and you add the pitch block after that. In row two add a very steep hi-pass filter block at 185 Hz, and then you combine the two rows after the pitch block and continue into the other effects.

(maybe, the filter block in row 2 is not needed, or you could play with the mix control in the filter block to let a little of the sub 185 Hz notes through.)

Here's my take on bass on the bottom while comping on top (I purposely overdid the bass a bit)

Preset looks like this
Screenshot%202016-11-01%2020.16.21.png

And is attached

Attachments

• Pitch test.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 44
Hi there,

and thanks so much for your help!

I did try it out today, and I guess we are getting somewhere with it, but still a bit off the mark.

I set the cut off point at 135 hz, to try and match the setting on my BOSS OC-3, and it works ok, but the octaved sound is still a bit in the background, I need it to be higher up in the mix, but I don't seem to be able to find a way to do it....

On the other hand, the other way to achieve this result, put forth by the other gentleman, has a been a total failure for me, I must be doing something wrong, but there are quite a few parameters and it is not easy for me; pretty frustrating actually...

Try adding a drive block with the tape drive setting after the pitch block, before the two rows merge. That should add some higher harmonics to the lowest note.

Reactions: JTI
Back
Top Bottom