Best way to pull up Songs in Sets/Songs?

jwhitfield

I use the Sets/Songs layout for playing gigs. I generally have a different preset for every song, and I set up my set lists for each gig. This works great as long as we follow the set lists (since I've set them up to match). However, when there's a request for a song we do that not on our set lists for that gig, I'm scrambling to find that song. Does anyone have an easy method of locating and pulling up a song on the fly when using the sets/songs layout, when that song is not on the set list you're working off of? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

That's a great question. It's a problem when the band changes the setlist unexpectedly. I use the Sets/Songs feature for gigs all the time. I don't have a way of doing this. I have a generic "Pedalboard" style preset that I intersperse in the setlists in multiple places so I can get to it with only a few button presses. I'm sure I could add a link to it in the layouts if I spent the time do do that. I'm interested to see how others deal with this.

Unluckily the setlist feature on fractal devices is not very flexible…
I think it should be implemented with at least more setlists (now we have four lists), a scroll list to pick up a song, a big title of the actual song somewhere in the display and a default song section per song…
Now it’s very limited even if quite useful for a standard use

I’m the lead singer in my band, so always have an iPad attached to my mic stand for lyrics, which is also used for the setlist.

Luckily the app I use can send midi, so whenever I choose a song or swipe to the next song a midi message is sent to my FM3 - has saved me so much time at gigs with requests and last second changes!

If you have an iPad and are willing to delve into MIDI, I highly recommend the app Bandhelper. It's been a game changer for me since I started using it. It's way more flexible than the songs/sets feature on the FM9.

If you search the forum, you'll find a lot of good info on how to use it with Fractal gear.

If you have an iPad and are willing to delve into MIDI, I highly recommend the app Bandhelper. It's been a game changer for me since I started using it. It's way more flexible than the songs/sets feature on the FM9.

If you search the forum, you'll find a lot of good info on how to use it with Fractal gear.

Another option with similar capabilities to Bandhelper is OnSong. These products can take the place of Fractal’s Sets/Songs feature by using MIDI commands to duplicate and expand the Setlist capabilities on the Fractal units.

Unfortunately the both above suggested are monthly payments, I’ve been using songbook for years now, it works across devices and syncs via Dropbox! It used to be a free app, but looks like it’s £14.99 now, still worth a look.

https://linkesoft.com/songbook/ios
BandHelper has a one time payment version called Setlist Maker. However, the developer did say recently that he won’t be adding any new features to setlist maker anymore. I think he’ll still release stability updates and whatnot, but it won’t have features parity with BandHelper anymore.

Nonetheless, I switched from setlist maker to BandHelper and I think it’s definitely worth the cost.

Unfortunately the both above suggested are monthly payments, I’ve been using songbook for years now, it works across devices and syncs via Dropbox! It used to be a free app, but looks like it’s £14.99 now, still worth a look.

https://linkesoft.com/songbook/ios
I just downloaded Songbook to check it out. It has a nice UI but according to the manual, it can only send one midi preset per song. That's a big limiting factor, especially if you want it to replace the songs/sets feature where you use different presets/scenes for different parts of a song.

Back
Top Bottom