Best way to automate pitch shifter via MIDI

Matt payne

Hi folks!

I'm just wondering what is the best way to do this in my case. I use my axe 3 with my DAW , all works like a charm but I'm not sure.

For a long time, I used to do this with PC changes. I have 9 presets for rehearsal that I use , and some songs, I use virtual capo in different configurations. I just copy the 9 presets again and again, like 9 preset with pitch -1, 9 presets with pitch-2, 9 presets with pitch-3 ...

Advantage: very easy and gapless change, just use PC changes and go

Inconvenient: every time I tweak a preset, I must copy to all the pitch ones, so, take some time. Also sometime in rehearsal, we try another tuning, so I must change all PC changes in my midi track one by one.

The new way I tried is to have just my 9 original presets and use a CC to active/mute the pitch block, and another CC for the number I want to pitch. And it works but:

Advantage: All is automated and I can easily just change my CC to change the note of the entire song

Inconvenient: when I have a PC change , the pitch block doesn't take my CC to activate the block. I need to draw a line from let's say 120 to 127 so the pitch block detect a change and activate, so I have a small gap with no pitch and then it's ok

Are there better options to do this or maybe I miss something with the CC mute block? I know I can let my pitch block always On an set to 0 when I don't want to pitch. What are you using for that ?

+ I guess I need to change the value of the CC in axe edit to know where I am? To clarify now, -12 is CC value 0 and +12 is 127 so it's difficult to arrive at the spot on number I want, but I guess I need to change the value in axe edit?

Sorry If it's not super clear and for my english, but thank's for you're help to clarify to block I have in my head ;)

Maybe I found something in between: just making 9 presets without pitch block, and 9 with pitch block always On, and use them with just the CC to set the tuning. So editing is much faster with less presets and I think I will not have the gap for the pitch block to activate. I need to try that .

Maybe make a special Pitch Select layout with a bunch of switches that just change the pitch block pitch. Then you don't need all the preset copies, but you have to switch pitch for each song yourself.

Probably not great if pitch changes a lot, especially during songs, but if it's just per song it might not be too bad.

Maybe make a special Pitch Select layout with a bunch of switches that just change the pitch block pitch. Then you don't need all the preset copies, but you have to switch pitch for each song yourself.

Probably not great if pitch changes a lot, especially during songs, but if it's just per song it might not be too bad.
Like with footswitches? But yeah it's just some songs and no changes during songs for now. I have a project in my DAW , and sometimes for some new songs, we say let's try in -1 or -2 and I change directly the value in my CC track to try it so it take not much time. But I have a gap to active the pitch block with a CC track when PC change so maybe I need to delete this track and let the pitch block always On for those songs.

Back
Top Bottom