Best USB mixing interface for FM9/AXE3?

Renegade226

I know the FM9 can act as it's own audio interface but I want a standalone unit to put on my desk to easily integrate with my PC audio for backing tracks and connect other instruments to. Looking for reccs on the best USB mixing unit with a crystal-clean signal that won’t color the beautiful Axe tones and that provides tons of headroom that won’t clip when I push the volume hard. I’m thinking a Mackie 402VLZ - but what does the community say?

I'm not a fan of Mackie. I've owned a few (and still do have one) and they are not very well built IMO.

You can certainly mix anything you like in your DAW and sent it out via the FM9 or AXE3. Like you, I wanted a desktop interface and bought a Duet3, but I hardly use it. The Duet is killer, just unnecessary unless I want other instruments in at the same time, as you mention. You would also do well with a Focusrite Scarlett. Best would likely be something by UA.

It can be a bit tricky to get both a standalone USB interface and the FM9 working together in sync, though I did manage to figure it out. In the end I mostly use the Duet when I'm not playing through my FM9. Fewer hours on the FM9 that way.

Even entry level usb audio interfaces have software mixers and mic & line I/O that are plenty capable of cleanly and quietly recording mic & line level signals and playing back audio from your computer. A Focusrite Scarlett with the amount of I/O you need would be a good starting point. Just connect the FM9's balanced outputs to the TRS line inputs and you're good to go, or use SPDIF to eliminate conversions if you're really worried about quality. UA is fine but extremely overpriced especially if you won't be using the onboard processing. RME, Antelope, Apogee, etc will all measure better than the Scarlett but whether the difference is audible in your room depends on your ears, the quality/placement of your speakers, and the amount/positioning of acoustic treatment in your room.

Last edited:
I know the FM9 can act as it's own audio interface but I want a standalone unit to put on my desk to easily integrate with my PC audio for backing tracks and connect other instruments to. Looking for reccs on the best USB mixing unit with a crystal-clean signal that won’t color the beautiful Axe tones and that provides tons of headroom that won’t clip when I push the volume hard. I’m thinking a Mackie 402VLZ - but what does the community say?
I have used mackie VLZ mixers in my home with my fractal gear since 2009. AFAIK, it is NOT AN AUDIO INTERFACE. So I guess you are talking about monitoring in the room. with a MIXER, NOT audio interface. That's what I still do. I use a Scarlett Audio interface also, I like to have my fractal gear strictly for my guitar, not as an interface.

I’ve been using audio interface mixers for years and recently switched to the TASCAM Model 12. I don’t use the USB on the AXE FX for anything other than the editor.

TASCAM Model 12

I don’t notice any real coloring coming from the preamps. They are pretty clean to me.

The input gain meets my needs for Fractal gear and I’m also running an Alesis drum set. I have to CRANK the gain for those.

It’s a digital mixer, DAW control, stand alone recording mixer, and audio interface all in one.

Main reason I went with this was all the I/O is on the back and NOT THE TOP! Personal preference but I send and receive everything from patch bays so I never cared for too connectors….

I don’t know if I’d say it’s the best for everyone but it is for me. I’ve had a Mackie and PreSonus and this one has by far my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom