Best Cabs For Bass?

JH-2

Inspired
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble getting a good cab for bass, I have several paid ones but I can't find what I'm looking for.

I need help with your opinions, which are the best for bass? Any engineer who can help me with this? I have Axe FX II XL+.

I want it to sound sharp and clear with controlled bass.

Thanks

Did you try the G.O.T. presets? It has bass presets from Aerosmith bassist and from Steve Vai's bass player. Should be a good start.
Also, try cabs from AsA G.o.T presets - they are play tuned-down 7 and 8 strings guitars, should also be pretty good for bass.
And after all that just buy @austinbuddy 's bass preset pack!

Upd. I am sorry, didn't notice that you mentioned 2nd Gen Axe. If you are interested, I can later post cabs from those presets.

Hey Man, welcome to the rabbit hole.

From my own experience, sharp and clear with controlled bass is usually accomplished without a cab. And a lot of the time not even an amp..

You could start with a Multi-band compressor to tame the lows into an EQ. Or if you want a bit more spice you could do the common strategy of splitting the high and low signals using the X-over block and processing them separately.

A couple ideas can be found here:
Tuesday Tone Tips - FM3 / Axe-Fx III Bass Tones For Guitaristshttps://www.youtube.com › watch
Tuesday Tone Tip - One Block Rock Bass Tone! - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com › watch
5 Minute Tones - Distorted Bass - YouTubewww.youtube.com › watch

@JH-2 Can you tell us a bit more about your gear and the tone you’re after? For instance:

1. What bass, pickup configuration, and tuning are you using?
2. Is there a song you could mention that has the type of tone you’re wanting?

@JH-2 Can you tell us a bit more about your gear and the tone you’re after? For instance:

1. What bass, pickup configuration, and tuning are you using?
2. Is there a song you could mention that has the type of tone you’re wanting?
Justin
If you shoot an 8x10 Ampeg SVT, it might set the bass world on fire ... or a 4x10 and 1x15 mix.
Those things are so heavy! No one wants to load that thing in. But man they sound great.

From my own experience, sharp and clear with controlled bass is usually accomplished without a cab. And a lot of the time not even an amp..

You could start with a Multi-band compressor to tame the lows into an EQ. Or if you want a bit more spice you could do the common strategy of splitting the high and low signals using the X-over block and processing them separately.

Tuesday Tone Tips - FM3 / Axe-Fx III Bass Tones For Guitaristshttps://www.youtube.com › watch
Tuesday Tone Tip - One Block Rock Bass Tone! - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com › watch
Hi

5 Minute Ton

Hi MackieFX,

Thanks for your reply.

I want to get this:

1:15

Do you think it would be better without a cab or amp?

Hi MackieFX,

Thanks for your reply.

I want to get this:

1:15

Do you think it would be better without a cab or amp?

Id say use a cab, try a really spiky drive pedal with mix set to 70% and a bright cab. That tone has a good amount of low end still.

Id say use a cab, try a really spiky drive pedal with mix set to 70% and a bright cab. That tone has a good amount of low end still.
Hmmm...I've tried all the drive pedals and still can't get my bass to say "motherf_cker" like the video; but that bass tone is a lot like what I've been failing to get at, too.

Forget the cabs/ IR’s. You wanna manipulate the hell out of your DI ( assuming it’s a great sounding DI in the first place). The most in your face, present, and biggest bass tones are almost always ( in my opinion) done with just a DI. I would start here. I would YouTube how to mix bass guitars, and what techniques many use, such as splitting the bass into multiple tracks ( sub, mids, highs, distortion etc) and then summing them together for the final tone in one buss. There’s tons and tons of resources online about this.

Bass ( in rock and heavier music) is all about consistency, which means compressing the shit out of it, mostly in the low end. If you split your bass into multiple tracks, you REALLY want to compress the hell out of the sub lows. This will give you the solid foundation and solid low end you need, but don’t even realize is there in modern music or why it is like this. This is the key. Consistency. You don’t want your bass dropping out or popping out too much when certain notes are hit on the fretboard of a bass. This is again, where loads of compression comes in. I’ll compress 15-20db on the sub lows, whatever it takes to give a solid foundation and consistency in the low end of your track.

Start here. And forget the IR’s/cabs, you will have way more control and get way more unique tones utilizing just a DI. Start with a DI, a sansamp plugin ( thousands of amazing bass tones have been recorded with this), and an 1176 style compressor.

Fractal Audio Cab Pack: A native choice for Axe FX II XL+, with IRs from notable cabs.
Ownhammer Bass Collection: Renowned for high-quality cab IRs.
Bergantino BASS cabs from 3 Sigma Audio: Defined and clear IRs for controlled bass tones.

Fine-tune with onboard EQ, cut unnecessary low end (<50Hz), boost around 700-800Hz for clarity. Adjust amp settings: lower bass, boosted mids, and reasonable treble.

I went so far as to buy those new metal cab IRs from Kristin Kohle. I thought these were FINALLY going to give me what I wanted.
Massive METAL BASS TONES for everyone!YouTube · Kohle Audio Kult20 minutes, 56 seconds1 month ago

But they're yet another example of Bass IRs where the low frequencies are SO pushed they dull your tone to an underwater mess.

Some insights finally came when I opened my Parallax and B7K plugins from Neural DSP. They are the only plugins where the IRs they use seem to take the 1ft thick foam mattress off the speaker. I really don't understand why...

I found some free Darkglass Cab IRs and they are the closest I can get to what I want without running my Axe through the Plugin IRs. I think I might search for the IRs of the cabs used in these plugins because they sound SO much better its not even funny.

I will post them once Im home from work.

If this is for recording then I get the best results by recording my bass tracks DI. Then I choose cabs/EQ to get it to sit in mix where I want it. It depends on the instrumentation for the track but if you have keys/synths in there or down tuned guitars then I find this approach gives me the most flexible results without having to rerecord bass parts later.

Back
Top Bottom