Besides performing live how do you guys get people to discover you in your city?

We currently have business cards I created which has our band name, a short description of what play, a QR to our Facebook page, and a phone number for booking. I blast those things everywhere, even in other states when traveling. We also reach out to potential venues (typically via Facebook) with a write up and FB link to our videos, etc.
My wife takes great cell phone video and after most gigs, I typically crop/trim the videos to create a 4-5 minute summary and then post to Facebook. This helps to sell yourself and show abilities. You don't want to overshare though because then people will just wait for the video to drop. I mainly post the videos to show other venues when we or they reach out to book. Venue to venue referrals definitely help you get in places.
A lot of it is just simply playing a bunch and the word will spread if you're a decent band. If you can get your band into the local event magazine or newspaper that helps. We have been put in as a featured band in the past.
The music scene in my area is pretty saturated so it's difficult for newer bands to get exposure because the venues keep booking the same bands over and over because they draw a crowd. One tip to get in places is to try to always be available as a fill-in band.
One thing I do not like these days is bands being booked late at night. We typically play 9p-1a, 10p-2a. This late at night is typically a different crowd than say the 7p-11p crowd. I cannot tell you how many times we've been asked while setting up "what time you guys go on?". When we tell them "9ish or 10ish", most say that's too late for them. Plus I find that people just don't stay out as late as they used to, especially in the cooler weather months. A lot of the late night music in my area has been sucked up with DJ's. This could probably be said for almost any area and it stinks as well.

As with all my posts, this could be helpful info or just a rant.

Not sure if you’re in the USA or not, but this has been fruitful for me in the past. I only use the free part. There is a premium pay part that gives a lot more functionality and features that will get your name out there on larger scale.

https://www.bandmix.com/

This is my somewhat pitiful profile due to bad genes…lol But give an idea of what you can do.
https://www.bandmix.com/prsguy513/

Dang that’s some tasty playing Gitguy13! Nice job man.

I wouldn't miss it! Just killer all the way around....
Dang that’s some tasty playing Gitguy13! Nice job man.
Tasty 😋

Thanks for sharing 🙏
You guys are too kind…Thanks for the compliments! It means a lot. That was from a few years ago. I will get something new into the recording area soon. It will probably be just a jam type improv type thing. I played my butt off last night on the beta and today I needed a good dose of ibuprofen.🥴

Also, apologies to the OP for the sidetrack of your thread…
I agree that open mics are a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom