Bad power?

GuyJames

Inspired
I just moved to a new place and got everything hooked up for the first time and well… BUZZ. Can you guys look at what I got going on here. Do you think having the internet modem and router close to the power supplies or the FM9 is causing this? I could move stuff around but just wanted feedback first before I tear up all the organizing I just completed.BD12D9CB-6CCD-491C-880D-156734F28FF0.jpeg

Could be... You could just turn them off and see ;)

Also check for fluorescent lights, LED lights, dimmer switches, etc.

I even had a case where a wall wart plugged in too close to where my guitar was caused horrible noise. Simply moving it from the front to the back of my rack totally eliminated the issue.

Could be... You could just turn them off and see ;)

Also check for fluorescent lights, LED lights, dimmer switches, etc.

I even had a case where a wall wart plugged in too close to where my guitar was caused horrible noise. Simply moving it from the front to the back of my rack totally eliminated the issue.
turned off router and modem, stopped using power supply that's on the board and went into wall directly, went directly into fm9 input instead to tuner pedal, Turned off all lights in studio... Still buzzing. Tried ground lift. This is a bummer if I can't track it down because I won't be able to record from home.

What does the signal chain look like? Is the FM9 connected to the THR? Is it connected to a computer?

Best way to debug ground loops is to simplify. Start with FM9 and headphones and see if there is buzz. Add one thing at a time and check for buzz along the way. If there is something you can identify as causing buzz, then you can look at how the AC mains are set up, and you can also add a Hum Eliminator (HE-2) to isolate the ground. Takes some time, but you can always fix a ground loop.

Yeah, that's a good point.

Get a basic outlet tester and make sure the wiring is good.
Could you attach an image of what that looks like so I could go to the hardware store. Wanna make sure I get the right thing before I start sticking forks in outlets 😂

What does the signal chain look like? Is the FM9 connected to the THR? Is it connected to a computer?

Best way to debug ground loops is to simplify. Start with FM9 and headphones and see if there is buzz. Add one thing at a time and check for buzz along the way. If there is something you can identify as causing buzz, then you can look at how the AC mains are set up, and you can also add a Hum Eliminator (HE-2) to isolate the ground. Takes some time, but you can always fix a ground loop.
I hope so! I’ll work through your suggestions. So if I’m getting buzz in the headphones it’s most likely the power it’s plugged into right?

Can really be a million things. Is there an acceptable direction you can turn that greatly reduces the noise? I’ve learned to live with that.

I would also try the FM9 in another room to make sure it is just not that room outlet. Just testing the one but find out the whole place has bad power/wiring.

This is the correct method to solve. My former amp tech taught me how to debug a single chain for noise, and @elvis approach is the correct way. You might not need the Hum Eliminator, just a separate outlet on a different circuit for the buzz producer.

Yep...I've had buzz in here only to find it was because guitar rig and computer were on different outlets.

If the buzzing goes away when you turn down the volume on your guitar it's EMI and not your power. Active pickups should be quiet.

If it's unchanged it could be power related. First test the outlets. If they're not grounded or there's a polarity issue call an electrician to fix it.

If the outlets are good, start turning breakers off until the noise disappears. Then you'll know if it's something on a particular circuit...

Since you're in an apartment you may not have access to the breakers. Just unplug everything in the apartment and plug in one thing at a time until the noise comes back.

It's also very possible the noise is coming from another apartment.

understood, however proximity of these devices have emi that can affect your signal path, i'd move for testing at least.
I have found, at many venues I play at regularly, this type of buzzing. More often than not it is EMI. If you have a wireless, turn the volume of the guitar up and walk around. Don't play, just find the spots that quiet down. That's where you need to be. You can also try to build a faraday cage, if you are wealthy and have money to burn.

flukeily, today I noticed that when the furnice goes on, the noise level present in one
of my higher gain presets goes up noticably even though the furnace is on a separate circuit. Was wondering if some sort of power conditioner would prevent that.

Back
Top Bottom