Bad PA head + FAS product = Bad sound anyway.

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
typically I plug my FM3 or FM9 into my Behringer x32 and get great results, especially with my RCF subs and 932 tops. I brought my speakers to a gig and used this head that was there https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PVi6500--peavey-pvi-6500-6-channel-400w-powered-mixer and man, did things CHANGE. First off, there is no gain control on these channels and it seemed like all my patches had a layer of distortion over them, so I choked down the output on the FM3. It sorta helped but not really fixed it. Seemed like there was no way to just get a good, clean signal out of this head. We had to use the mono out on the front, being we were going into my RCF powered stuff. This was just not a combo I ever want to see or use again. I really would have done better going direct into a Mackie Thump or something like that. Pic for explanationIMG_9279.jpeg

Anyone else have a PA horror story?

One of our open-mics regularly used a Fender Passport. Not enough clean headroom before gain unity. Only when the venue reworked their circuit board and put in a dedicated wall mount mixer with powered speakers were we ever able to dial in the sound/tone the host wanted. The place had suspect power to begin with...the venue's computer cash registers were unreliable with brown-outs and blown fuses from an unreliable fusebox circuit board, the waitresses were forced to present drink and meal tabs done by hand calculator...Although the host partnered with the venue's owner to get it done, it took the better part of 4 months before we were allowed to return to the reworked venue.

Once they had installed the new circuit board with adequate electrical busses and circuits, all was well. The new PA system consisted of a Mackie 24 unpowered mixer with powered JBL 15-inch speakers, mounted up high on wall mounts above and behind the main stage.

Up until that time, my job at the gig was arriving early, bringing in my guitar, effects board and amp to the right of stage and putting the Fender Passport system together on stage that was kept in storage. I'd also assist with the house band's arrival and help them offload their gear into the venue and let them set up where they wanted.

Depending on the open-mic host's mood, he'd allow me to let the Passport stay on stage for the following night's venue, or ask me to break down the PA and store it away.

The host paid me $20 each time I'd arrive early, set up, and break down the PA. We eventually agreed he'd teach me guitar lessons for 75 minutes a session instead him shelling out $20 each week. Either way, the host appreciated my assistance, and I think over the long term, I got the better deal based on the fact $20 doesn't buy much of guitar lessons anymore, but 75 minutes each week was invaluable for a guy who needed to improve his chops...

Box mixers are notorious for no gain setting. If you use 1/4” it’s line level, if you use XLR it’s mic level only.

when I have to use one of these and I send XLR, I drop the Gain level in the Global EQ way down, and keep the volume knob low. Once you get this input level sorted they sound like any other mixer but yeah it’s a challenge.

One of my gigs they recently added a Mackie box style mixer. And when we play, the system shuts off unless we drop our output levels wayyyy down.

Man I played some real s&#*ty venues in southern China while playing with a singer-songwriter. It was early in my modeller journey and it would frustrate the hell out of me when the great tones I fine-tuned on my EV speakers and at a large live venue would end up sounding like the Miku pedal when plugged into some of those systems. There were corroded 'Fender' wedges, 5 watt PAs, and my personal favourite, being asked to stand in front of one of the FOH speakers for my monitoring 😂

I learned through those experiences that sometimes it doesn't matter what gear you have ... there's going to be times when it sounds like hot trash.

Yeah, Bruce, I totally agree. Just sucks the joy out of playing to deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom