Axe-FX Name Timeout!

TechTone

For years I've been running my Axe-FX II (Quantum 8.02) with the MFC-101 (ver 3.08) and using a Cat6e ethernet connection (expansion port only. No XA-1 adapters. No MIDI cables) to link them.
Now when I boot up my rig, I get the current program number displayed on the MFC-101 but no actual Song name beside it. After about 10 seconds the display changes to "AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT!" error on the MFC-101.
If I change the preset via the MFC-101, the AxeFX does respond and follow the change. If I try to load a new preset from the AxeFX front panel, the Axe-FX doesn't change state. The MFC-101 appears to be sending control data and overriding the Axe-FX....thus it's not reading the song name info from the Axe-FX. (That's my educated guess anyway)
Yes, I've tried multiple, quality ethernet cables.
I then removed the ethernet cable and used the 9V power adapter to the MFC-101 with a 5pin MIDI cable Out to the Axe-FX MIDI In. This setup works....other than I prefer using just an ethernet connection without the power adapter.
As I've read a bit on this forum about other people experiencing this same error, I can't find any conclusive answers...other than a few bad ethernet cables and perhaps a wrong MFC-101 MIDI/Setup configuration setting.
Does Fractal acknowledge this is a thing?
Thanks,

Sounds like your MFC port type (midi menu) is set to 'Midi'. It needs to be set to the connection type being used. Expansion, Midi or FasLink (for MFC Mk III)

Hey Billbill & Moke, I very much appreciate all your tips and advice but I did confirm all required settings on both the Fractal Axe-FX and the MFC-101 when this problem was happening.
I did have to change my Port settings from "Expansion" to "MIDI" to get the 5pin MIDI cable (and PSU) scheme working.
If I was on the wrong port setting originally (while trying to link via ethernet), would I have been able to get the proper Preset number on my MFC-101 like I did?
Remember, I could change presets on my MFC-101 and the AxeFX responded so there was partial communication from the foot controller to the AxeFX....(?)
Not sure this all would have originally happened if I was erroneously set to MIDI.
Keep thinking boys!
Thanks,

Hi TechTone ... I can't offer any help at this stage but just to let you know that I am suffering with exactly the same problem. I have the same firmware loaded on AXE FX MkII (now updated it to 9.0 plus new presets) and 3.08 on the MFC-101 Mark II. What's even more strange is that I can re-load everything at my house and it works fine. Then I take it to a gig and I only get the Preset Number displayed on the MFC. As you say, there is partial communication between the two as when I change the preset number say from 2 to 3, the AXE FX will change and the MFC will change but doesn't display or load any preset name or control changes. I don't think Fractal Support know how to fix it. They recommend all the usual things which Bill and Moke also kindly offered. Tomorrow I'm sitting down with a friend who designs and builds a global name brand of mixing desk. If he can't get it working then nobody will. There is a real possibility that the EtherCon connection socket may have become damaged internally. I also thought that there may be a possible link to AXE Edit somewhere in the equation as I've seen a few posts on the forum about that too ... but I'm just clutching at straws as all options have been exhausted (almost) but curiously I notice Fractal have now released a new version of Axe Edit for Version 9.0 in the last coupe of days ...

Hi Techtone .... I had my gear checked out by an electric engineer today having suffered exactly the same symptoms as yourself. It turned out that 2 of the wires in the EtherCon cable were broken. Replaced it, even tried several other CAT5 cables and the problem has gone away. Hope this helps.

Hi Fractalfreak,
Sorry, I've been off-line for awhile this past month.
Anyway, I appreciate your input on this matter.
I trust you mean you've found 2 broken wires in your 'ethernet' cable when you say 'EtherCon'.....and not 2 damaged cable connector pins on the RJ45 connector on your MFC101 (?)
Either way, I've replaced all me external Cat6 (regular ethernet, not a cross-over style) ethernet cables and I still have the problem.
I've be forced to use the MIDI hook-up method now to get things working.
Still No advice from Fractal tech support on the issue....
Thx

I am now experiencing the same problem. I have an Axe-FX II running the latest Ares firmware and I went to use the system today,
after several weeks of inactivity. (Sorry....my vintage Marshalls have been capturing my attention for a while.)

My setup, which was working perfectly at last usage, and completely unchanged and untouched, is now not communicating with the
MFC-101 Mk III that's been connected all along via ethercon.

Literally not one thing has changed in the setup. But now the MFC powers up and other than that there is no communications and no control between the MFC and the Axe-FX II. Only the fact that the MFC powers up (connected only via ethercon, no power supply, no other cables, nothing) shows that there's anything going on at all.

The setup has not only not been used for weeks, it hasn't been touched for weeks. Nobody has so much as stepped on a cable or moved a cabinet.

I am now experiencing the same problem. I have an Axe-FX II running the latest Ares firmware and I went to use the system today,
after several weeks of inactivity. (Sorry....my vintage Marshalls have been capturing my attention for a while.)

My setup, which was working perfectly at last usage, and completely unchanged and untouched, is now not communicating with the
MFC-101 Mk III that's been connected all along via ethercon.

I'm having a similar problem with AxeFX II no longer working with MFC-101

I found my problem. Somehow the MFC-101 got reset. Use its onboard editor function and be sure it's set to the correct cable type and set to work with the correct version Axe-FX. I use an ethernet connection. (I'd buy an ethercon cable except the setup literally never gets moved in the living room, so I don't really need the more rugged ethercon cable.)

Reactions: Rex
I found the same problem, even changed the ethernet port and nothing. The I decided to go to my MFC board setup and found out it changed its configuration after updating axe edit. Went trough a lot of BS since I found out it wasn't working at, a show out of town.

The solution was going to the setup menu in the MFC and switch it to axe fx II, it changed to to axe fx XL. Of course I have the version first mentioned. I hope that, help guys.

Back
Top Bottom