Axe FX III Tips for EV ELX 200 12 tops

metalms

I just received my Axe FX III rack and absolutely love it so far. I came from Kemper . There I said it. :)

While the sound is great thru my JBL LSR8 studio monitors, as I move it to my PA (Tascam Model 16 mixer, EV ELX 200 12 tops) I face the uphill battle of dialing out harsh high frequencies and nasally midrange.
I have had the same experience with QSC K12s in the past.

I am coming to the conclusion that modelers just don't sound great when using high gain profiles/rigs and plastic horned PA speakers or I am not tweaking with the right tools or the areas. Although I have been doing quite a bit experimenting.

With that said, I am getting closer with the Axe FX than I was with the Kemper.
Example preset would be a 5150 50watt amp block with a boost on the front end and some sort of V30 cab block. (classic I know)
The Axe is connected to a stereo input on the Tascam.
The EQ on stereo channels is super limited. (10khz, 2.5khz, and 80hz)
I like to use the stereo input so I get full stereo effects when desired.
I am running my EVs in full range mode with the DSP set to Live (Flat) and EQ to taste with the Tascam.
The Tascam Model 16 is rather limited in terms of precision eq.
Using the Tascam channel EQ, I have to dial the 10khz way down and sometimes the 2.5khz to reduce harshness. I also engage the 100hz cut on the Tascam channel.

I am getting closer to where I want the tone and feel to be when thru this PA. Just seems a bit more to go and was looking for some suggestions.

I am contemplating to move to a digital mixer like a Midas M32r Live. Hoping that would get me the rest of the way there with its superior EQ control vs the Tascam. I mean obviously that will open up a lot but beyond just the guitar processing thru PA but came highly recommended.

So after my long winded story here, I was just wondering what others are doing. The cleans and blues stuff sounds great but the metal chug is a bit challenging so far for me on this PA system. It was kind of the same story with the Kemper.

It is worth noting this is just home use for rocking out to back tracks and such. I do not actually play out live. Also this needs to stay as a full PA system. I am not asking about which FRFR speakers are the best in this post. It is meant to more specifically ask if anyone has had a similar struggle in using a PA System similar to what I have described with an Axe FX and if so, any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance. I realize this is more of a peripheral gear question than a direct Axe unit question. But it is all a system in the end. Thanks

Where do you have the Cab block hi and low cuts at?
I was using two cabs panned. The low and high were not used. Being new to Axe Fx, I am not sure what the best route to use for low and hi pass like I did on the Kemper. Kemper had an output section that I would cut 8k for high freq and 80 hz for low. I did mute the second cab as that may have introduced some phase or undesired results. Until I learn more on these multiple cabs. Did not have that in Kemper.
I have set the one cab that I am using to 8khz and 80hz for the cuts on the cab block. Now. I am getting closer. Thank you.

Try using your Global Output EQ instead of the mixer... You've got a lot more flexibility with that.
I am already using that as well. I still have to cut 10khz on the mixer quite a bit. The 80 hz on the mixer I don't have to do much. I will keep messing with the output eq as that was my first place I started. I have since activated the low and high pass cuts on the cab block and that is getting me closer. Thank you!

I was using two cabs panned. The low and high were not used. Being new to Axe Fx, I am not sure what the best route to use for low and hi pass like I did on the Kemper. Kemper had an output section that I would cut 8k for high freq and 80 hz for low. I did mute the second cab as that may have introduced some phase or undesired results. Until I learn more on these multiple cabs. Did not have that in Kemper.
I have set the one cab that I am using to 8khz and 80hz for the cuts on the cab block. Now. I am getting closer. Thank you.
Fwiw, I struggled with high end content in my tone for years!
I saw so many posts saying 80 low cut / 6-8k hi cut.
One day I saw a post telling me to try cutting high end as low as 3k.
I was shocked since that seemed to go against the norm.
I found the sweet spot for my hi cut to be ~3800hz.
Don't be afraid to twist the knobs.
And yes, at first when I made the change from 6k to 3800hz, is sounded too dull, during that session.
I came back the next day and then it sounded good, normal, not harsh in any way.

And yes, at first when I made the change from 6k to 3800hz, is sounded too dull, during that session.
I came back the next day and then it sounded good, normal, not harsh in any way.
I will definitely give it a try today. Thank you!

The frequency is only part of the story. The Slope option is very important relative to the Frequency as to how "steep" the cutoff is.

Back
Top Bottom