Axe-Fx III for bass - you gotta be kidding me :-)

Well, since my Axe Fx III produces killer guitar tones, that I really like, I thought it might also be able to chuck out some decent bass. I programmed a preset with an amp block with the two Ampegs and the two Boogies. Plus two cab blocks with assorted stock bass cab IRs I could find and thought would be useful.

Then I took my rig (Axe Fx III) and a Yamaha DXR10 (which I absolutely love, sold my ASM-12 for it ...) over to my buddies house, who is a great bass player and used to play in a band with me. Hooked it all up, and - what do you know ? - not at all that bad :) He was playing and I was switching amps and cabs back and forth until I finally saw the really big "I can't believe it" face on him. It was a Boogie paired with a 4x10 metal cone (Hartke ??) and a SV 15 with bass kick. An absolutely brilliant bass sound that had punch, lots of really clear bottom end and real definition over the whole frequency spectrum. And all that with my little 1x10 Yamaha DXR10 ...

"So, let's compare it to my standard "go to" bass rig", he said, which is a German high end and high power Glockenklang head with two high end 1x12 cabs - the really expensive stuff.

We both thought that the Axe Fx III was WAY better - the "in room" bass rig sounded mushy and dull against the Axe Fx III rig.

What did we learn ? - the Axe Fx III also does killer bass tones, which need not hide behind any high end "real" bass rigs ... and my buddy is seriously considering getting an Axe Fx III just for bass :cool:

Cheers, Todde
You know, I've always wanted to try the $100 bass I got for the Axe 3 and this post made me whip it out! Thanks OP

Also, what are your top 3 bass tones?

No need to share, you can dial up what I did in a few seconds:

ehhh no, were lazy americans - post the syx file lol HAHAHAHAHAH j/k

Back
Top Bottom