Axe-FX III as Audio Interface with Cubase - Controlling Monitoring Levels

secondwindow

Power User
I'm using my Axe-FX III as my only audio interface with my Windows 11 PC and Cubase Pro 12.

This is working pretty well for me, but I'd like to be able to balance the monitoring levels of the guitar signal and recording tracks differently than I am now.

Currently, I'm using a Global parameter to adjust monitoring level of the recorded tracks (USB 1/2) from the AXE front panel or in Axe-Edit. The guitar's monitoring level is adjusted using OUT 1. So, I have to set the guitar for how loud I want it to be then adjust the volume of the recorded tracks.

I'd like to do this the opposite way: Set the overall volume of the recorded tracks, then adjust the guitar monitoring level to however loud I want it to be for rehearsing parts, recording, etc.

Any suggestions?

You could use the Out1 block's volume parameter, but that will also affect the level hitting your DAW which could cause a lot of aggravation later on trying to level match your recorded tracks, especially if you're comping multiple takes with different volumes. Definitely would not recommend this option.

Another option is to use input monitoring with your DAW. The AxeFX III has an option that allows you to mute the output from the Out1 block:

2023-12-28 12_44_30-Fractal Axe Fx III Owners Manual.pdf - [Axe-Fx III Owner's Manual] - Sumat...png

With this set to MUTE, the only audio you'll hear from the physical Output 1 jacks is from USB channels 1+2 i.e. the playback from your DAW. Just enable input monitoring on the track you're recording, set its monitoring level with its fader in your DAW, and you're good to go. With this setup you wouldn't need the global USB 1/2 parameter either, just set it to its default (0dB), and use the physical Output 1 knob as normal to control the overall volume.

Depending on your CPU you will want to reduce the USB buffer size in your DAW to as low as possible to reduce the RTL (round trip latency) as much as possible without introducing clicks and pops into the audio. If you're working in a large project with CPU heavy reverbs and multiple software instruments that aren't frozen pre-fader you may want to bounce the project as-is and start a new empty project in which to record guitar so you can reduce the USB buffer size down as low as possible in that project.

This whole issue is just one of many reasons why I use a dedicated interface for recording and monitoring. Even something as cheap as a Scarlett 8i6 is $200 used and will solve all these issues, give you a dedicated software monitoring mixer from which you can direct monitor with near-zero latency, give you a lower impedance headphone amp, all with no compromise on sound quality by using the SPDIF I/O, and allow you to use your speakers without the AxeFX being on and connected.

Last edited:
This is covered in the instructions for configuration #1 in the recording guide. Basically you adjust the overall level for both, then you adjust the usb playback level. Alternatively, you can use configuration #2, which gives you independent control over both guitar monitoring and usb playback levels.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/
Thanks, GlennO

I've been using Configuration #1 and it works really well.

What I'd like to do is kind of flipped in that I'd set the "band" volume, then lower/raise the guitar volume. Sounds like there isn't a simple solution to that if not using an external mixer or audio interface.

You could use the Out1 block's volume parameter, but that will also affect the level hitting your DAW which could cause a lot of aggravation later on trying to level match your recorded tracks, especially if you're comping multiple takes with different volumes. Definitely would not recommend this option.

Another option is to use input monitoring with your DAW. The AxeFX III has an option that allows you to mute the output from the Out1 block:

View attachment 132099

With this set to MUTE, the only audio you'll hear from the physical Output 1 jacks is from USB channels 1+2 i.e. the playback from your DAW. Just enable input monitoring on the track you're recording, set its monitoring level with its fader in your DAW, and you're good to go. With this setup you wouldn't need the global USB 1/2 parameter either, just set it to its default (0dB), and use the physical Output 1 knob as normal to control the overall volume.

Depending on your CPU you will want to reduce the USB buffer size in your DAW to as low as possible to reduce the RTL (round trip latency) as much as possible without introducing clicks and pops into the audio. If you're working in a large project with CPU heavy reverbs and multiple software instruments that aren't frozen pre-fader you may want to bounce the project as-is and start a new empty project in which to record guitar so you can reduce the USB buffer size down as low as possible in that project.

This whole issue is just one of many reasons why I use a dedicated interface for recording and monitoring. Even something as cheap as a Scarlett 8i6 is $200 used and will solve all these issues, give you a dedicated software monitoring mixer from which you can direct monitor with near-zero latency, give you a lower impedance headphone amp, all with no compromise on sound quality by using the SPDIF I/O, and allow you to use your speakers without the AxeFX being on and connected.
Good tips strabes, a couple of things I hadn't thought of.

I may have to consider re-adding a mixer or audio interface to my setup again.

Thanks!

Thanks, GlennO

I've been using Configuration #1 and it works really well.

What I'd like to do is kind of flipped in that I'd set the "band" volume, then lower/raise the guitar volume. Sounds like there isn't a simple solution to that if not using an external mixer or audio interface.

You could simply define two performance controls, one on the usb return level and another the output 1 block level. The first one controls the band level and the second one controls the guitar level. It's not quite as flexible as configuration #2, but that might be all you need.

You could simply define two performance controls, one on the usb return level and another the output 1 block level. The first one controls the band level and the second one controls the guitar level. It's not quite as flexible as configuration #2, but that might be all you need.
Hi, GlennO

You always have great suggestions!

I'm going to try this and see how it works out for me.

Thanks!

Hi, GlennO

You always have great suggestions!

I'm going to try this and see how it works out for me.

Thanks!
This was the first suggestion in my original post but I advised against it because it will affect the level hitting your DAW when recording. You’ll end up with a bunch of tracks recorded at different levels so it will be a pain to mix, and almost impossible to comp different takes of the same part.

Last edited:
This was the first suggestion in my original post but I advised against it because it will affect the level hitting your DAW when recording. If you have a bunch of tracks at different levels it will be a pain to mix, and almost impossible to comp different takes of the same part.
Ah, I re-read your post - I see what you mean about the level to the DAW. I'll give it a try anyhow.

I may be shopping for an interface or mixer soon.

Thanks, strabes!

Last edited:
That's right, as I mentioned, it's not as good a solution as configuration #2...that's why that option isn't in the recording guide and configuration #2 is :). In other words, a $60 Mackie Mix 5 will solve your problem.

That's right, as I mentioned, it's not as good a solution as configuration #2...that's why that option isn't in the recording guide and configuration #2 is :). In other words, a $60 Mackie Mix 5 will solve your problem.
True! I'll be choosing which mixer and will have one on the way soon. I want to give that a try, even if I end up deciding to stick with Configuration #1.

Thanks much!

Last edited:
@GlennO and @strabes: I've decided to re-add an interface to my setup, the new MOTU 828. I'd wanted to simplify my setup a while back and tried to use an AXE-FX-only solution. Turns out "simple" added more complications. :)

I'm setting-up for configuration #5 (again). The new 828 is different from the 828es I used to have, so there'll be a bit of a learning curve.

Thanks again for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom