Axe FX II Doesn't Power On At All

citizen51

I’ve had this unit since I purchased it brand new from Fractal in the beginning of 2012. Since then, it has always been reliable through hundreds of shows, studio sessions, and rehearsals and I’ve never had a problem with it until now.

I just did a quick run of shows in the Midwest last weekend and everything was fine. When I got back to Los Angeles, I loaded my stuff into my studio and left it until I set everything up last night. That’s when I noticed the problem: the unit will not power up at all. I tried all sorts of things to troubleshoot including switching out the power cable and using different wall outlets. When I took it out of the rack, I immediately noticed the sound of something rattling around in there. My best guess is that a careless baggage handler just threw it around and it was damaged that way (it lives in a flight case). I’m not really sure what to do here. This Fractal is basically my entire livelihood in a box.

Please help :(

Hi Citizen51

If you are ok with a phillips head, take the top off the unit, and check that there are no ribbon (or other) cables disconnected. From memory, the PSU is a small self contained circuit board, evidenced by the power cables going to it. (The yellowest board below)

Good luck, & Keep us posted!
1715576501068.png

Thanks
Pauly

I’ve had this unit since I purchased it brand new from Fractal in the beginning of 2012. Since then, it has always been reliable through hundreds of shows, studio sessions, and rehearsals and I’ve never had a problem with it until now.

I just did a quick run of shows in the Midwest last weekend and everything was fine. When I got back to Los Angeles, I loaded my stuff into my studio and left it until I set everything up last night. That’s when I noticed the problem: the unit will not power up at all. I tried all sorts of things to troubleshoot including switching out the power cable and using different wall outlets. When I took it out of the rack, I immediately noticed the sound of something rattling around in there. My best guess is that a careless baggage handler just threw it around and it was damaged that way (it lives in a flight case). I’m not really sure what to do here. This Fractal is basically my entire livelihood in a box.

Please help :(

Hi Citizen51

If you are ok with a phillips head, take the top off the unit, and check that there are no ribbon (or other) cables disconnected. From memory, the PSU is a small self contained circuit board, evidenced by the power cables going to it. (The yellowest board below)

Good luck, & Keep us posted!
View attachment 140214

Thanks
Pauly
Hey Pauly,

Thanks so much. The cables connecting the power switch to the board were disconnected. That must've been some rough handling to have caused that. It's good as new now. And now I feel dumb 🤣

Thanks for your help!

-Christian

Good stuff!!
Thanks for letting me know. Glad it worked out.

Pauly
Hey Pauly,

Thanks so much. The cables connecting the power switch to the board were disconnected. That must've been some rough handling to have caused that. It's good as new now. And now I feel dumb 🤣

Thanks for your help!

-Christian

Back
Top Bottom