Axe Fx Broken Please Help! *VIDEO*

im actually probably going to do that,i just dont want to make anything worse than it already is plus i dont know what im looking for! haha

If its out of warranty ,I would pull the top off unplugged, Some thing could of come lose or you maybe crack a solder joint. if you can't see anything ,screw the top on and send er out .expensive piece to be messing with ,Good luck

As others have said open up the unit and look around for loose parts. From a short slam on it's side a soldered point was likely broken. Resoldering it yourself, if you're not experienced may not be a good idea, though it is easy if you are experienced with that sort of thing.

Make sure not to touch any capacitors, though. Unless the circuit has a bleed path when the unit is turned off (which it probably does... but still) bad things can happen if you accidentally ground any caps (same goes for high capacity batteries).

push the eprom back down in it's socket... my ultra once did the odd light thing, then i just pushed on the eprom and it was good as new.

haha.. it's a chip that has a socket around it, like a brown socket surounding a chip that is almost square. only one on the board that is removable. dont push too hard, just push on it, might hear it snap a bit.

can anyone send a picture with the eprom circled or something? I'd much appreciate it,i dont have the money to repair it and itll take a couple months to save incase i have to send it off!

Make sure not to touch any capacitors, though.
I know that's true for tube amps, but I've never heard of this caution with digital stuff. Outside of the power supply itself, we're only talking about +5V and +/-12V.

BTW, the power supply looks like this:
25lpwr.gif

so just keep your fingers out of it.

Last edited:
I know that's true for tube amps, but I've never heard of this caution with digital stuff. Outside of the power supply itself, we're only talking about +5V and +/-12V.

Avoiding touching caps is just generally good advice. Depending on the sensitivity of the corresponding parts any short COULD cause damage, but yeah, low voltage probably won't hurt you.

Then again, devices with perpetually generated voltages (eg. mag-locks) can actually heat things up hot enough to burn/melt if over-volted, even with just 24 volts.

If a gear is correctly build all voltages are drained to ground when you shut it off. But stay careful...;o)

Back
Top Bottom