AXE FX 3 - Routing External Pedals

DNAPPS

I tried searching to forum to learn how to route external pedals, such as my strymon timeline, Hologram Microcosm, etc, through the AXE FX 3...and could not find anything that specifically addresses how to set this up in AXE EDIT or where to run the cables into. I'm new to doing this type of thing on my device so if anyone could point me in the direction of a video or can explain how to set this up that would be much appreciated!! Thanks!!

In the grid between your other blocks, insert Out 3 connected to In 3.

Connect 1/4” cables from Out 3 to your external pedal, and from your pedal connect 1/4 “cables from the output to In 3.

Bypass the In 3 block to turn off your pedals.

It’s in the owners manual:
42951BC8-0F95-4D22-9B6C-BCBA39D3FBB2.jpeg

Connect 1/4” cables from Out 3 to your external pedal, and from your pedal connect 1/4 “cables from the output to In 3.
Should I place the (Insert Out 3 > IN3) after the speaker cab in Axe Edit? If I'm dealing with time based effects and reverbs I'm assuming this is where it should go but just wanted to make sure! Much appreciated for the guidance!

Should I place the (Insert Out 3 > IN3) after the speaker cab in Axe Edit? If I'm dealing with time based effects and reverbs I'm assuming this is where it should go but just wanted to make sure! Much appreciated for the guidance!
That’s a normal place to put them, but you can do whatever you want.

Wouldn’t adding a connection create a parallel dry path (which may be desired, but not necessarily)? In other words, for a serial connection wouldn’t you just add Out 3 and In 3 and NOT connect them (since they are connected outside in the Fractal device via the external pedal)?

That’s a normal place to put them, but you can do whatever you want.
Agreed with Chris on this. And I'll add that it's worth experimenting with the placement since it's so easy to do. I discovered that putting a wah after the cab block was really interesting.

Wouldn’t adding a connection create a parallel dry path (which may be desired, but not necessarily)? In other words, for a serial connection wouldn’t you just add Out 3 and In 3 and NOT connect them (since they are connected outside in the Fractal device via the external pedal)?
you connect them so if you bypass the Input 3 block, you'll still get sound from your full signal path. bypassing the Input block will bypass the effect loop.

if you don't connect them, bypassing the Input block will stop all sound.

when the Input 3 block is on, that connection between Out 3 and In 3 is not active, even though it's there. it goes through the "loop" first.

when the Input 3 block is on, that connection between Out 3 and In 3 is not active, even though it's there. it goes through the "loop" first.

Thanks - so if you wanted to have a parallel path (for example, if using the Timeline in dry-kill mode and just the delays come back to input 3), would you need to route it between other blocks (for example, whatever is immediately before and after output 3 and input 3)?

Thanks - so if you wanted to have a parallel path (for example, if using the Timeline in dry-kill mode and just the delays come back to input 3), would you need to route it between other blocks (for example, whatever is immediately before and after output 3 and input 3)?
You could do that but an identical result using fewer columns and no extra shunts would be this. Bypass the Out 3 block if you want effect trails when bypassing (really just muting the send to) the external effect.

in3out3.png

Bypass the In 3 block to turn off your pedals.

It’s in the owners manual:
View attachment 112374
Is this how you would connect an x-load and real amp? Do you have to use hum buster cables?

Back
Top Bottom