Axe FX 3 Freezing Up

MicahT0078

So like the title says, my Axe FX three turbo that is less than three months old is freezing up. I will list out my equipment chain and then get to the scenarios that I see happening.

Guitar into Axe FX, controlled by a RJM GT 22 with two mission engineering RJM dual function pedals. One pedal is for volume, and the other is an expression pedal, but mostly used for wah and activates when out of the fallback position. Output is dual stereo: Output 1 R/L goes to a mixer, output 2 R/L to a Mission Gemini.

I first noticed the issue during rehearsal when I had the unit and the midi controller plugged into my laptop via USB with both editors open. I am assuming that conflicting midi messages were being sent, because I kept getting redirected to a specific preset (blade runner), without touching the unit or the controller. I then unplugged the mini controller from USB and closed its editor after restarting the Axe FX. This stopped the preset redirect, but did not stop the freezing of the unit. When I say the unit freezes what I mean is, it will be stuck on a particular preset and scene that I was using, the input and output meters are stuck wherever they were, and the only way to get the unit to respond is to restart. Sound still comes through, but it is only on the particular scene where it froze.

I then tried only using the unit itself for programming by plugging it via USB into the computer and using only Axe Edit and not having Logic open. It seemed to work OK, but obviously that does not work for performance or solo rehearsal (need to play with the tracks).

Fast forward to last Saturday where I did a gig all afternoon with the signal chain described above, no computer or USB involvement. Aside from volume inconsistencies that were entirely attributable to me and my newbie programming, the set up performed flawlessly until the fourth set. Two songs in it starts to freeze again. I tried unplugging and replugging in the midi controller which worked once. Every other time I had to manually restart the Axe unit. After three songs, it seemed to work again without issue until the end of the gig. Those three songs share the same basic bones from a programming perspective of all of the other songs in that set, so it doesn't make much sense from a what could be happening.

Has anyone had any experience with this or seen a reason for why this occurs? It is obviously a dealbreaker for the unit when playing out, if at any time it's going to lock up and take me 30 seconds or more to get back into the song. I would appreciate any help or advice on this issue, as I love the tones and the flexibility of the unit and would really like this to work. Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom