Axe bogging down my computer and freezing

EastcoastTony

My computer works fine until I connect the Axe to it, then it slows down to a crawl and frequently freezes. Been trying to get it working with Studio One but just freezes up.Do I need a better computer to run it? The computer is old (13 years) , Do I just need a newer more powerful computer to run this thing in my Daw. I tried running from the USB port directly to computer and also tried running out from the axe to an Audient ID 14 interface and still results in freezing up.Is my computer the problem?
Running windows 10.
Thanks for any help

Yes just tried it ,it slows to a crawl or freezes, as soon as I disconnect the USB cable from the axe the computer works normally

My computer works fine until I connect the Axe to it, then it slows down to a crawl and frequently freezes. Been trying to get it working with Studio One but just freezes up.Do I need a better computer to run it? The computer is old (13 years) , Do I just need a newer more powerful computer to run this thing in my Daw. I tried running from the USB port directly to computer and also tried running out from the axe to an Audient ID 14 interface and still results in freezing up.Is my computer the problem?
Running windows 10.
Thanks for any help
Has this setup with the AxeFX III worked fine previously on this computer and now it no longer works well or are you trying to connect the Axe for the first time? Since you mentioned Windows 10, have you installed the AxeFX III Windows USB driver on the AxeFX III downloads page? I would try installing or reinstalling that driver and then giving it another go over USB.

First time setting up on this computer,tried reinstalling everything and doesn't help.
My wife said computers get old and slow so maybe that's the problem.
I'll try another cord but it doesn't work when I go to from axe to another interface that uses a different cord either

Curious — do you know the specs on your 13yr old computer, i.e. processor type and speed? WIN10 is not known for being terribly efficient and some DAWs have become processor-intensive as well (as you’d expect b/c a newer/faster computer has more headroom and can easily run more intensive software).

Windows 10 did not come out until 2015.
If your computer is 13 years old it came with Windows 7.
Somewhere along the line you installed Win 8 and then Win 10.

The issue could be any number of hardware or software issues.
Get a new computer, they are dirt cheap.

Ancient pc works fine if it has a fresh install of windows without bloatware and junk. Format everything and start from the beginning. A 25 year old computer is powerful enough to run a period-correct DAW and record 50 tracks perfectly, just keep such relics away from the internet and they work fine until they die.

Time for a new PC methinks.

Can you look in task manager to see what's using all your CPU/memory?

What are the specs of this PC? It could be many things causing it, slow hard drive, not enough memory, old CPU, malware. We have no way of knowing.

Might just be a case of 2011 hardware not cutting the mustard with 2024 software.

Last edited:
My 2p (2cents) worth:

A new computer would probably fix the problem yes. You should be able to get one for about $250 that would do the job ok. Something like this (refurbished 12 mnth warranty in the UK, I'm sure the US has an equivalent site):

1711099609982.png

Alternatively you could spend a day reformatting your hard drive and installing Windows 10 (8.1 support is discontinued, that means the same deal as 7 i.e. no updates, inadequate security etc.), and everything else you commonly use. Doing this might fix the problem, but imo there's a good chance it won't, especially if computers are not your favourite thing to be messing around with :)

Before making a final decision have a quick look at the Windows Event Viewer logs. It will take about 15 minutes and might reveal an obvious problem that could help you decide the best course of action: Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools. Double-click Event Viewer. Look for Error entries (indicated by a red exclamation mark):

1711100224333.png

You could look for anything that mentions USB, Axe-Edit, Studio One or that contains the text "Crash" or "Application Hang". Don't spend hours on this. It's just a possible quick way to identify a fundamental operating system issue. If you do find something, post the error on this thread, and ppl will help you understand it and decide the right course of action, whether that be a new PC or no.

Attachments

• 1711100194132.png
    1711100194132.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 0
Windows 10 can definitely cause problems on older computers, mine's a similar age to yours. Studio One was generally fine, but glitched a little with plugins and software instruments (but only when I really didn't need it or expect it! ;) ) It was getting really slow to boot too, and a few programmes were sending it into a very slow crawl.

On the recommendation of a colleague, mine was given a new lease of life by installing more memory, and changing to a solid state hard drive. It wouldn't have cost much more to follow @WhiteRoom's suggestion and just look for a later refurbished model.

On the basis of Studio One use rather than Axe Edit, I'll likely invest in a new computer this year.

Liam

Back
Top Bottom