AX8 or FX8 or... (quite the conundrum)

PixelBard

Howdy folks,

I've decided that my situation has reached a point where I need to call on external opinions for support.

I decided back at the end of summer that I wanted to FX8. I've always been a fan of pedals and building pedal boards but the quality of sound and convenience of the FX8 is too good to pass up.

My gigging experience as well as my bands gigging experience is not that great. We always end up asking for too much in the monitors at the venue we play at the most and started thinking, maybe I should get a Helix, or as I had forgotten about it the AX8. But my problem seems to be that I wanted the FX8 because I could control my amp with it. But it seems I cannot with the AX8. The Helix or AX8 could be beneficial because I could just run the pedal to the PA and not worry about my amp and have a little more headroom with the monitors and not fear feedback. Then bust out the amp on the off chance we actually get to play one of the bigger venues.

So here I am, reaching out to you all for help/opinions/input... so help! :D

Thanks bunches in advance.

This may not help, but I run direct to pa with an axe fx, and monitor through the vocal monitors. This does work well for us because we have no amps on stage, but you will still be pushing the monitors now harder then before to get guitar and vocals over the drums. if you do not turn the rest of the band down, because now the monitors are carrying a lot more signal. I am myself waiting for the ax-8 invite. I think this will make setup a snap. the Fx-8 I am sure is excellent, but you are carrying a lot more gear with an amp and effects board. There is a lot more to consider then the monitors. Either way you go though Fractal stuff it top notch!

The Helix or AX8 could be beneficial because I could just run the pedal to the PA and not worry about my amp and have a little more headroom with the monitors and not fear feedback. Then bust out the amp on the off chance we actually get to play one of the bigger venues.

Best input I can give you is that I sold my Mesa F-50, Marshall JVM and Twin Reverb back in April 2014 and haven't looked back. I think you will be amazed at the versatility that the AX8 will give you for amps, cabs, IRs and effects with little tweakage (is that even a word?).

You have to evaluate your current rig you have and compare it to what may or may not be possible with the Helix or AX8. Being locked in to one amplifier with a wide range of effects is cool, but why not have a wide range of amps, cabs AND effects representative of all in a convenient floor unit? You could buy an FRFR powered cab and that is your new amp with the AX8 simplifying your rig tone versatility and beyond with endless possibilities.

This all sounds good in theory, but ultimately the choice and sonic perception is yours. Personally I enjoy bringing my guitar case and carry case with my AX8 + 2 EV1's into my gigs with ease plugging direct into FOH with IEMs. No more lugging around amps with large pedal boards worrying if the temperature of the rooms are going to change the tonal quality of the tubes or a stompbox got worn out from so much usage. It has simplified my bi-monthly+ gigging transportability into a ridiculously convenient pedalboard.

If I was in a more guilt free position to ditch the amp completely I would! But my amp is custom built. I'm almost obligated to use it as much as possible!

We played a gig with a guy running just a Helix a few weeks ago and he pretty much said the same thing, no looking back. Plus I agree with the allure of only bringing my guitar (or guitars) and just a pedal board to the gig/practice.

The other guitarist/vocalist in the band is considering the same route. Since my financial situation is currently more flexible I am the guinea pig here haha!

Howdy folks,

We always end up asking for too much in the monitors at the venue we play.

What is it about this statement that has you asking for more monitors, Is the guitar amps or the drums or both? Changing one part of the equation won't solve your problem it only shifts it to the other problem. If you run to a direct signal and rely on just a monitor or back line then your drummer is going to have to hit softer... good luck! or invest in shields or an electronic conversion kit.

A lot of it still falls back on to our general inexperience for sure. There are probably 4 venues in town that regularly book rock bands and I would say only one of them would not give me a stern frowny face if I cranked my amp all the way up. Even though it's only 30w, at the place we play all the time, with the size of the room and the size of the stage I the drummer and I would be the only two things you'd probably hear.

We all just recently discussed finding a place to do a one off practice so we can get our stage levels figured out better. To maybe knock down a little less reliance on monitors. The other guitar player is going to start using my other amp for shows and with the previously stated practice, we might find we can hear ourselves just fine if we suck it up and push things a littler harder on stage.

Unless the AX8 does have some sort of channel switching capabilities I will probably just end up sticking with the FX8 once I get an invite AND have the money ready to pay for it. I appreciate the input so far and definitely welcome more!

LOVE my FX8 to bits... happy I stayed with my amps as well as I like them a tonne and don't need hundreds of amp options... maybe I'll get an AX8 when my number pops up, but right now I couldn't be happier... and I've completely stopped using pedals live.

Love my FX8 too. Paired with my amp\cab it's the perfect, simple, consistent and toneful rig for live playing with my little trio.

In my band I'm like a burger chef and my rig is my burger. Robboman makes a great burger. I have a few different toppings on my menu and once in a while I might try a new one. But my main burger is what I'm known for and my customers keep coming back to pay for. I'm not about to start selling seafood or rotisiere chicken or pizza or asian cuisine.

When I'm NOT working at the burger joint, I really want to eat something besides hamburgers. With the Axe-Fx and the AX8, burgers are just one item in a huge, gigantic Vegas buffet of every food and flavor imaginable. All you can eat, open 24\7.

For recording and home fun playing, at this point in my life I refuse to live without Fractal amp and cab modeling. Same as I'd refuse to eat the same old burger every single meal.

Only question now is.. for my 'Vegas buffet' rig, do I stick with the Axe-FX II I already own, or the AX8 I have on the way? Pros and cons.. not the least of which is that AX8 might replace both other boxes and leave me money ahead.

... as an aside... have you ever written a long post and then read back and thought.. why the fuck did I even write all that?

Oh well. Here's a picture of a burger.

hamburger.jpg

Back
Top Bottom