AX8 or FX8 (Can't be both)

sskkmm

Power User
Like all of you I was hoping the AX8 would be out by now as I want to read all your reviews! But, given what we "know" right now, do you think the AX8 would be the best option for someone who normally plays through an amp but would appreciate the option of going direct to FOH every now and then? That is, do you think the FX side of things, with amps off, will work as well as the FX8 if there is no need of the 4-cable manner?

Yep. The FX8's big advantage is its optimisation for noise free 4CM method. If you aren't going to run 4CM, then there isn't much reason not to favor the AX8 that I can see.

I have been thinking of down sizing to the A8 from my Axe II as well. but I use my Axe II in 4CM mode all the time
will the A8 be any worse than the Axe II in this regard? I really only use the modeling these days for recording
but I still would like to have it, so the FX8 is kid of out of the picture for me.

I have an AxeFXII Mark I and an FX8. The AxeII is very noisy in 4CM in comparison to the FX8, but I guess FAS made improvements to that with the AxeFX Mark II and XL versions.

I will be buying an AX8 and I'll definitely be trying the AX8 in 4CM with my amps. If the AX8 is "good enough" I'll probably let the FX8 go. As of right now, I expect to be keeping the FX8.

My Axe FXII is also a Mark I, it's a bit hissy but manageable. I found that by adding a gate after the FX loop block I can silence it. So between songs it goes on and while I'm playing it goes off. My patches are pretty simple so the limitations of the Axe8 are OK with me. Having it all in one unit is really appealing to me though I already have a decent USB recording interface so it's a workable solution as long as it's not a noise fest in 4CM :)

Yea, the FX8 sounds so much better with the 4CM... I would not even consider it for a no FX loop amp. Given the low price of the AX8, its any easy decision.

Back
Top Bottom