AX8 into Mesa Mark V routing options

Groundtest

Hi there,

I am in the market for an effects unit that will replace my stompboxes. This will run in conjunction with my Boogie Mark V head and cab in 4CM. The FX8 looks like a viable option, however alternatively I am considering the AX8. The amp modelling is appealing to me, and it happens to be easier to source locally than the FX8. The general consensus also seems to be that the AX8 in 4CM has some amount of noise but is more than manageable.

I am unfamiliar with the routing options the AX8 offers. Essentially what I am wanting out of the unit whilst in 4CM (as one setup):
  • Utilize the Mark V's preamp and poweramp, and bypass the amp and cab sims
  • Have the AX8's output routed into the Mark V's FX return, i.e. power amp only, to incorporate amp sims
Will the AX8 be capable of this?

Answered my questions perfectly, thank you.

I am also considering channel switching as I know there are a couple of options out there. My understanding is the RJM mini amp gizmo with the Mark V interface cable would achieve full switching functionality with minimum cables?

Correct
Did this a year ago with a FX8 and a Mesa Recto for a friend. The amp gizmo was left in the rack so setup was just one midi cable, very easy.
I would also suggest making a spreadsheet of all the differenet switching combintions you want out of your Mark V.
Example: http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/User Manuals/070494-JP2C-160317-download.pdf
The JP2C already has midi built in go to the manual page 31 all the switching options are on that table.
This is a program change chart the only numbers you would need to be concerned with are 1-15.
So construct a similiar chart for your Mark V in the long run makes programming the rig easier

Thank you that's a great help. I have a bit of learning to do about the programming process but am looking forward to delving right into it.

Okay another question. My guitar has two outputs for mag/piezo. In the 4CM as described above, will this allow me to run a second input into the other FX Return (Right, as Left would be used already), to then have its own path; effects and preamp model routed to the main out (into the Mark V's preamp) only?

Essentially the idea would be having the mag and piezo as separate inputs with their own path and output (mag into front of amp, piezo with amp model into Amp Return).

Edit: I have attached an image showing how I envision I could use the AX8 as above. Apologies for the crude flow chart, I am not entirely familiar with Axe-Edit blocks!

Attachments

• AX8.JPG
    AX8.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Capture.JPG Complicated answer: Trade offs basically. Also any answer can be debatable.
The AX8 sounds just as good (identical really) as its big brother, but it is a device of less power.

If I got this correct basically what you want to do is have two separate effect runs. One for the magnetic and the other for the piezo. this way you can just switch on the guitar and not even have to bother touching the AX8. This method has been done with the Axe Fx II and also the III.

First: In the first pic there are front end effects to the left and back end effects to the right, the loop is the center of the universe. It's what separates the MarkV's preamp and power amp, it is also were the piezo pickup will have its input. The effects are pretty straight forward, so lets stick with routing. (top row for now). with the loop engaged you are getting front end effects Mesa preamp (whatever channel its on at the time) back end effects then off to the power amp section of the Mark V. The loop in this example is left on full time. Why the volume blocks you ask?
Because the volume blocks have the ability to listen to the right side or left and anywhere in between. So the top volume is listening to the left and the bottom to the right and passing that down the chain. As you already noted the piezo can be plugged into the right effects of the loop. So if the guitar has the pickups switched in you are driving the top row. You have the piezo selected your driving the bottom row. If the guitar has a setting for magnetic and piezo. Yep your getting both rows.

Some trad-offs, the AX8 can only run one compressor so I put it in the piezo row, deemed it more important there. Same with reverb the AX8 can only run one, since I want both chains to have reverb they are both going through it. As for the cab block in the piezo row, there are acoustic IR's out there so you can get something maybe closer to a Martin or Taylor.

Keep in mind: this little example I posted is not tested there could be phase issues and so on and bleed also from the guitar side.

6L6C your answers are extremely helpful and much appreciated. The support for Fractal Audio products is excellent and is one did the reasons why I am drawn to them.

The compressor and reverb limitations on the AX8 are not a concern, and learning how this routing method works has given tonnes of possibilities to think about. Cheers.

I just sent my Mark V 25 back and I bought an RJM Switch Gizmo to use with the AX8 if you are interested. I no longer need the Switch Gizmo and never even really started using it other than testing it works.

Back
Top Bottom