AX8 - Guitar - Headphones recommendation

Hi all.

Recently I joined the club and bought an AX8.

I live in an apartment so I can't play with speakers at any time. I have been using a really cheap phones Seinheiser 201 and the sound seems that want to be free. I would like to know your opinion on the below headphones. I will mainly use them on the audio interface but I would like a good one that will allow me as well to listen properly directly from AX8.

I'm inclined to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 since it has good reviews and a 250OHMS.

Which one will give me the most honest sound (I know audio interface might color the sound) compared to a real speaker/cab environment?

Let me know your thoughts and if you want to suggest any other outside this list feel free to do so. My price range is £1-£200.

Thanks in advance.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x - Amazon product ASIN B00HVLUR86Sony MDR7506 - Amazon product ASIN B000AJIF4EAKG K 240 - Amazon product ASIN B0001ARCFABeyerdynamic DT 770 - Amazon product ASIN B0006NL5SMAKG K271 MKII Circumaural Studio Headphones - Amazon product ASIN B0016MOC28

Last edited:
I use the AKG K 240 and really like them. I can only compare to cheap headphones though and haven't compared to any really nice studio headphones.

You'll really need some kind of amplifier to use headphones with the AX8. You won't be able to go directly from the output and get a good sound.

Well I bought before the Audio Technica phones (the same as you post here) with my Apollo Twin Duo interface and was fine after I can finally have my XL+... Maybe are not the best ones but for the price and performance are really good... Now I have my AX8 too and I'm using the Apollo and that phones on the road, I left my Axe at home, and again I'm ok with the results...
9147710188393770967321136.jpeg

The Beyer DT 770 are good headphones. I'm currently borrowing them for testing with the AX8. Though i'm borrowing the 80ohm version, which has a little more Low end (or so i'm told). You will need an amplifier though. Especially with the 250ohm version.

The Beyer DT 770 are good headphones. I'm currently borrowing them for testing with the AX8. Though i'm borrowing the 80ohm version, which has a little more Low end (or so i'm told). You will need an amplifier though. Especially with the 250ohm version.

For the audio interface or the AX8 OUT or both?

I thought having more impendance would be better to the AX8 OUT.

Any suggestions on headphone amps that will allow aux input (for backing tracks, clicks,drum tracks play alongs)?

The Blue Mo-Fi headphones have served me well with my AX8. They have a built in amplifier which helps drive the speakers in the headset. However, I only use these for practice and tweaking effects, for any cabinet or amp tweaks I use my powered monitor which is an single EV ZLX-12P.

The Blue Mo-Fi headphones have served me well with my AX8. They have a built in amplifier which helps drive the speakers in the headset. However, I only use these for practice and tweaking effects, for any cabinet or amp tweaks I use my powered monitor which is an single EV ZLX-12P.

I'll defo check that

For the audio interface or the AX8 OUT or both?

I thought having more impendance would be better to the AX8 OUT.

Any suggestions on headphone amps that will allow aux input (for backing tracks, clicks,drum tracks play alongs)?

You can't plug the Beyers directly to the AX8 output, as the output on the AX8 probably would not be able to drive them properly. You would probably struggle with low volume (although i can't sat for sure). But if you plug your AX8 in to an audio interface or a small mixer, and use the headphones out on that, that would work just fine (in my experience).

The lower the Ohm, the less power requiered to drive them. So you would not need as much power driving 80ohm as you would 250ohm. This could result in the 250ohm version not reaching the same volume levels as the 80ohm version. But an amplifier would probably make this a non-issue anyway.

Personaly, i just use a small Yamaha mixer. There i can plug in the AX8, Mac/PC, playback, etc and use the headphones out on that. I can also switch to my studio monitors on my main out if i want. Others may have other suggestions.

Oh, and i have heard nothing but great things about the Blue Headphones!

You can't plug the Beyers directly to the AX8 output, as the output on the AX8 probably would not be able to drive them properly. You would probably struggle with low volume (although i can't sat for sure). But if you plug your AX8 in to an audio interface or a small mixer, and use the headphones out on that, that would work just fine (in my experience).

The lower the Ohm, the less power requiered to drive them. So you would not need as much power driving 80ohm as you would 250ohm. This could result in the 250ohm version not reaching the same volume levels as the 80ohm version. But an amplifier would probably make this a non-issue anyway.

Personaly, i just use a small Yamaha mixer. There i can plug in the AX8, Mac/PC, playback, etc and use the headphones out on that. I can also switch to my studio monitors on my main out if i want. Others may have other suggestions.

Ok got it.

What is then the advantage of having more impendance? 250ohms compared to 90phms.

With ur yamaha mixer by default will amplify the headphones right?

Ok got it.

What is then the advantage of having more impendance? 250ohms compared to 90phms.

With ur yamaha mixer by default will amplify the headphones right?

Well, the general opinion i seem to find in the audio-forums out there, is that higer ohms tend to sound cleaner, but need a good amplifier that can drive them. Lower ohms give you a lot more options in what you can use them with, since they are easier to drive, but does not sound as clean as higher ohms. If normal people can hear these differences, i don't know. And i have not compared this directly myself.

My Yamaha can drive the 80ohm version fine for me. At 60% on the volume knob, they are nice and loud. But someone else has to comment on how easy the 250ohms are.

Well, the general opinion i seem to find in the audio-forums out there, is that higer ohms tend to sound cleaner, but need a good amplifier that can drive them. Lower ohms give you a lot more options in what you can use them with, since they are easier to drive, but does not sound as clean as higher ohms. If normal people can hear these differences, i don't know. And i have not compared this directly myself.

My Yamaha can drive the 80ohm version fine for me. At 60% on the volume knob, they are nice and loud. But someone else has to comment on how easy the 250ohms are.

Thanks for your answer.

Just a question on this subject - What is the most common use for using Head Phones with the AX8? - Is it for simple low level monitoring as not to make noise or disturb someone,.. or to use them for patch/preset creation and accurate sound reproduction?

I've had decent luck with my Old Sennheiser HD280 Pro's for developing presets and having them translate decently to FOH and other applications. Just curious.

I've also got the Sennheiser HD280's. I use them either for silent practice/recording, or for patch creation specifically for the recording environment. I don't have an FRFR setup, so far since owning the ax8 I've only had access to phones, monitors, and a 1x12 w/ poweramp. So for recording (or frfr, I guess) patches, I'll switch between the monitors and the headphones for getting the sound right...it translates pretty well between the two, but I make sure I like it on both systems primarily because I'm used to mixing with the headphones and know what they show me vs what the monitors show me etc. Whether or not they'll translate straight to FOH or an FRFR wedge or whatever, I have no idea.

Just a question on this subject - What is the most common use for using Head Phones with the AX8? - Is it for simple low level monitoring as not to make noise or disturb someone,.. or to use them for patch/preset creation and accurate sound reproduction?

I've had decent luck with my Old Sennheiser HD280 Pro's for developing presets and having them translate decently to FOH and other applications. Just curious.

Mostly for silent practice, so I don't disturb the neighbors. But also some preset creation. I use in-ears live, so I'm always checking things in my IEM at home to make sure that I'll have a good live-experience with them.

But I (like everybody else) am always looking for those heaphones that will translate somewhat well to FOH. That's one of the reasons I'm checking out the Beyers right now, and want to check out the Blue Mofi/Lola as well.

Can you tell me which Yamaha mixer you have?

I'm considering buying the Yamaha MG6 - https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_mg06.htm - or these
the t.mix mix 502 -
- https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t_mix_mix_502.htm - and the DT770s 80OHMS. I've checked the manual for the MG6 and it seems that the output is 150 Ohm .

MG06 Specifications:
20170301130144_MG06_X_MG06_Owner_s_Manual_file.jpg

The only thing that I require of the mixer is:

1st - AX8 to Headphones with the best sound possible
2st - connect pc/phone etc as aux input
3st - In the future connect studio monitors for real live sound

So I believe a 4 channel mix desk is enought for me.

Do you believe this should be enough to have a closer sound to the FOH?

Last edited:
The Yamaha MG06 is actually the mixer i use in my practice room. I also use it live as my In-Ear mixer. This mixer works well for my needs and can drive the 80ohm Beyers fine (at least in my experience). You can plug your studio monitors to main out and your headphones to phones out and quickly change between them for reference.

How well it will translate to FOH depends on a lot of different things. The Yamaha mixer it self is pretty neutral, so it shouldn't color your sound too much. But since every venue have different speakers, wedges, engineers, acoustics, etc. it is almost impossible to have your sound be absolutely consistent from venue to venue.

Creating presets at home that translates well to FOH live is a huge topic on its own. And finding headphones that translates well to PA-speakers/wedges is, again, a huge topic on its own... Here, personal preferences play a big part and makes it difficult to give you any concrete answers.

I'm currently in this Headphone-dilemma myself, and this is one of the reasons I'm borrowing the Beyers from a friend. I also want to check out the Blue Headphones Lola/Mofi, which receive a lot of praise on this forum.

The Yamaha MG06 is actually the mixer i use in my practice room. I also use it live as my In-Ear mixer. This mixer works well for my needs and can drive the 80ohm Beyers fine (at least in my experience). You can plug your studio monitors to main out and your headphones to phones out and quickly change between them for reference.

How well it will translate to FOH depends on a lot of different things. The Yamaha mixer it self is pretty neutral, so it shouldn't color your sound too much. But since every venue have different speakers, wedges, engineers, acoustics, etc. it is almost impossible to have your sound be absolutely consistent from venue to venue.

Creating presets at home that translates well to FOH live is a huge topic on its own. And finding headphones that translates well to PA-speakers/wedges is, again, a huge topic on its own... Here, personal preferences play a big part and makes it difficult to give you any concrete answers.

I'm currently in this Headphone-dilemma myself, and this is one of the reasons I'm borrowing the Beyers from a friend. I also want to check out the Blue Headphones Lola/Mofi, which receive a lot of praise on this forum.
I'm going with the Yamanha MG06 and the DT707s 80 ohms :)

I'm aware of the differences of sound from each environment. I just have a cheap Sennheiser headphones and it was clear that the sound was too compressed and enclosured. Also passing throught a cheap audio interface Focusrite 2i2 which I believe was colouring the sound. With a mixer and good studio headphone I believe I'm closer to the objective. Ax8->Mixer->Headphones

Cheers for the tips. They were quite helpful.

Back
Top Bottom