AX8 cab preamp substitute? or are we still doing this?

I picked up the tape preamp 50 cab-block tip from Scott Peterson couple of years ago. Are we still doing this? I liked what I heard: more definition, clearer, tighter. Is there perhaps a more natural way of achieving this? Also I'm switching to a AX8 where I've heard the preamp option is not available...

You are correct. The preamp option is not available in the AX8. If you depend on this parameter then you may want to stay with the AxeII.

Whether "we" are still doing this is irrelevant. Whether you want this feature and value the results is what matters.

When I made the decision to keep the AX8 and sell my AxeII, I was using the preamp parameter and though the AxeII sounded better with it. Having sold the AxeII two years ago, I can't say I miss that parameter one bit.

Thanks for your reply! But are there ways to achieve the same thing (sort of) with options available in the AX8? ("clear", "focused", "tight")

Thanks for your reply! But are there ways to achieve the same thing (sort of) with options available in the AX8? ("clear", "focused", "tight")
I messed with this a bit some time ago and found that increasing xformer drive and a bit of speaker drive can get you in the ballpark, similar to some preamp models, not exactly the same though

Back
Top Bottom