AX8 banks

What if when a bank is at half full (or something like it), the font got twice as big? This way they aren't craming all 8 names on the display.

I'm sure there are probably some alternate ideas here as well. Like maybe just printing the first 10 characters of a preset and spreading out the presets around the screen. Possibly leverage the white space to your advantage too.

Visual Feedback is one of my two major gripes about the AX8. Display could be better.... Next Gen needs to do better.

It's obvious that the approach FAS took with the design of the FX8 and the AX8 was to leverage their existing technology into the best floor units that they could make, within the limitations of the display and the chipset, in order to make these more affordable.

I don't want to turn this into a wish-list thread, but my guess is that FAS will take a hard look at their UI for the next generation of the floor units. While there are some really nice innovations (X/Y switching, scenes) IMO, the overall user experience with the display and the editing is disappointing. Somehow FAS made editing on the AX8 more cumbersome than it is on the AxeFX. Thank goodness for AX8-Edit.

Love the tones, but the UI is in need of a major re-tooling for the next generation, IMO.

Originally I found editing on the AX8 cumbersome until I found a few tricks that have tipped it in favor of Axe FX. If I want to quickly adjust a block like delay on the AX8, I just select the delay block via a footswitch and hit the edit button. I have most of the blocks setup via the footswitch, so quick edits are easy.

To be honest i'm quite supposed the last round of display updates in the firmware didn't just include a simple option to add a name to a bank...then the bank name could show up as large display for a couple seconds after it is selected like presets do.

Yes I definitely agree the preset name needs to flash up bigger as it is very difficult to read even in normal
Lighting conditions!!

You CAN get the PRESET name to flash up (for a user selectable time) on the screen....but only AFTER you've selected it from the bank....

Having used the AX8 live at a gig for the first time on Friday night - I can say that the biggest issue is that highlighted above - the BANK number needs to flash up as you scroll through using the up/down "F" switches......and indeed it USED to do this prior to the last firmware update. No we have the "list" of presets in each Bank - but for most of us over 25 year olds - we are going to struggle to see that from 6 feet up!

They need to address this in the next firmware and somehow re-instate the flashing bank number as an option.

I change preset via SetList Maker on my iPad.
Smittefar, Does setlist maker allow you to see what bank and preset you're on?

I'm a windows guy so I'll likely purchase a Windows tablet, but it would be great if there was an app that would allow me to just visualize what bank I'm on. Hoping something like that exists. Ax8-edit probably isn't a great solution to what I need because as soon as I click F1 on it I'll get the pop-up screen on the AX8-edit. Won't actually be able to see what bank I'm in as I scroll.

I'm also a fan of BIG bank numbers, when switching bank up/down. This is absolutely a MUST HAVE in a live situation. I don't want the "list of presets". Thus, a global option to switch between "big bank numbers" and "list of presets" would be fine.

You CAN get the PRESET name to flash up (for a user selectable time) on the screen....but only AFTER you've selected it from the bank....

Having used the AX8 live at a gig for the first time on Friday night - I can say that the biggest issue is that highlighted above - the BANK number needs to flash up as you scroll through using the up/down "F" switches......and indeed it USED to do this prior to the last firmware update. No we have the "list" of presets in each Bank - but for most of us over 25 year olds - we are going to struggle to see that from 6 feet up!

They need to address this in the next firmware and somehow re-instate the flashing bank number as an option.
I agree 100%. I have to believe FAS is working on the display. Maybe a bunch of choices. That wouldn't rerally use much memory at all....a minute amount I would think. Something like Display selections

(A solution other than better glasses :))

I am 54 with a disease that can be cured (I'm ok...just have To learn to deal with it). It has affected my eyes so New glasses do not help. That was why I actually bought the Helix before I bought an AX8. The Helix is almost perfect for me display wise, but I am already getting things that I want to use on AX8 and my an generally plays lead and all his patches are on my Helix. So that means I hav to figure things out as I discovered I can read the display at all on the AX while playing live. Last week I just setup a different scene for each song and it worked out fine. The AX8 sounded fantastic. But when we do special events or summer concerts I am going to need to figure something out. It may be a Windows tablet but the pause screen is frustrating when I hit a button on the device. I wish it just showed the changes I made with maybe a pause symbol in the corner or something.

Although you can set “DISPLAY LARGE PRESET” parameter to “ALWAYS” in the latest firmware, I still had problems when switching between BANKs.
It's so hard to see this litte bank number "Bank: xx" in the display, when you are in a live situation on stage.

My workaround:

I always name all my presets in the following pattern:

"[BankNumber] - [preset name]"

examples:

"1 - Crunch" (for preset Bank1 Preset8)
"2 - Blues" (for preset Bank2 Preset5)
"5 - Clean" (for preset Bank5 Preset1)
"5 - Drive" (for preset Bank5 Preset2)

Then it's very easy to see the bank number, when zapping through the banks...

Back
Top Bottom