AX8 and new MacBook Pro with USB C adapter cable

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
This post provides some info I've discovered while troubleshooting the AX8 when connected to a new model MacBook Pro equipped only with USB type C ports.

USB-C ports require an adapter to connect to the USB Type A-B cable needed for the AX8. These adapters can be very finicky. In particular, the order in which you make connections seems to be critical. To resolve connection problems, please connect the adapter and cable to your computer FIRST, then connect the USB cable to the AX8. If you connect the cable to the AX8 first, it may not work when you connect to the adapter and then to your computer. You may also need to reboot the AX8 or the computer after having any problems.

I've reported this to Apple. If this is a bug in their hardware or software, I think they'll be likely to address it.

If the above technique does not solve your problems, you can try another one that has worked for some others. On both Windows and other Mac computers, some third party USB drivers may also cause problems for other devices. These manufacturers care only that their own products work. On the Mac, physically disconnecting other audio/MIDI devices and then creating a new CONFIGURATION in the MIDI STUDIO Window of OS X often solves problems caused by 3rd party drivers.

Maybe that explains the problems I was having with my Retina 12" MacBook. I eventually just switched over to a cheap Windows laptop for Ax8 Edit duties.

The issue you encountered sounds a lot like what happened with my 2011 imac about a month or so ago after upgrading from El Capitan to Sierra. Your support team helped me out, but ultimately I downgraded back to El Capitan and it was much more reliable like before. Please keep us updated as to what you learn.

No problems on my late 2016 Macbook Pro with touchbar. I'm pretty sure i had my USB cable hooked up to the AX8 before connecting it to my hub and then to one of Apple's consumer gouging adapters.

No problems on my late 2016 Macbook Pro with touchbar. I'm pretty sure i had my USB cable hooked up to the AX8 before connecting it to my hub and then to one of Apple's consumer gouging adapters.
Same here.(edit: my error...I have only used the new pro with XL+ and FX8 , not yet AX8)

Old thread but I've struck this problem. OWC Thunderbolt Dock (and expensive piece of kit) works while my portable little Satechi USB adapter doesn't. Hugely problematic if I can't tweak sounds at a sound check or in a rehearsal as I've just discovered.

Here is what I found when testing a "USB 2.0 Type-C TO USB 2.0 BM Cable" (no adapter).
Firstly this cable only option works the best but thunderbolt 3 (USBC) ports work slightly different to normal USB ports.
1. Cable connected to a switched off AX8 and USB C port then switching on the AX8 is recognized and connects to Macbook :)
2. Cable connected to USB C port and then plugged into an already switched on AX8 is recognized and connects to Macbook :)
3. Cable connected to an already switched on AX8 and then connected to USB C WILL NOT CONNECT :(

From my tests I got the same results every time and if you just make sure that the cable is plugged into the USB C port first you really can't go wrong, it is reliable and always works. In the studio I just leave the cable plugged into the Macbook, problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom