AX8 and backline amp

Finnster

Inspired
Just wanted to share this.

I used to use my AxeFx II with a Matrix amp into a cab for my backline into various cabs depending on the venue size (1x12 or a 2x12).

I have since slimmed down to an AX8....don't miss my AxeFx and rack at all....much less to carry.

I run output 1 to FOH and output 2 (FX block) to the return(effects loop) of my 1x12 Fender V.2 Mustang 3 where you can assign the effects loop to only use amp and volume knob. I have to report that it sounds amazing. The 100w (SS) amp on the Mustang in very neutral and the Celestion speaker just "works". It's a great backline at gigs and light weight.

I was on the fence about posting this because the Mustang gets a bit of flack....it's not botique....lol.

If you are looking for a great solution to a backline that is cheap and reliable I suggest you give it a try. It is really that good....and loud as hell if you need that. I run output 2 around noon and the Mustang about 10 o'clock or 4 and it crushes.

Just wanted to share. These amps are abundant on the used market and inexpensive if you need that "amp in the room" solution.

I couldn't be happier.

As a side note....I even find the AX8 to be a better platform than the MFC for live situations.

I also have a Mustang III v2 and for some reason I am not getting that clear of a sound out if it. How you configured your AX8 and you mustang?

I was "OK" with the sound, definitely not blown away like I was expecting. I even though about selling my AX8 :(

But when I plugged the AX8 to my studio monitors, ow boy! I was happy I didn't sold it :)

Now I am thinking about getting a real powered FRFR for it. Though about the Alto TS212 since it is actually cheaper than a Mustang III v2.

But, I will never sell my Mustang III v2 :) Love that thing for open mics where you shouldn't bring your expensive stuff for people to drop beer on it :)

You have to put your effects loop of the mustang in "Fx Loop Position" to either "Looper Pedal" under the Utilities menu.
This can only be done with the latest firmware and only available on version 2 of the Mustang.

This way it disables all modeling. So it is essentially just a cab and power amp. The only amp function that is operational in this mode is the master volume.

I am not using it as a FRFR solution...that's why I use Output 2 to the Mustang and an FX block in my grid. I use the cab block for my output 1 for FRFR FOH.

I hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom