AX8 a-n-d FM3 Pros

Wetnosedog

Inspired
As there are many AX8 owners contemplating a FM3, thought I'd start a Pros list in hopes that the community's ideas will help decide whether to keep our AX8 or jump to a FM3. These are not in order of importance or extensive, just my present thoughts.

AX8 Pros:
1) Strong Community Wisdom. It's been around so there are a multitude of solutions to most questions and problems.
2) Tons of helpful tutorial videos!
3) Community Presets. Just found an amazing Def Leppard preset, and there are tons out there! If the FM3 does not catch on, this won't be as strong for FM3 owners.
4) Green lit knobs Treble, Presence, etc... Really like having these immediately accessible.
5) Footswitches! Crucial for live playing and all around convenience. I think the lack of Footswitches on the FM3 will cause major issues for live players.
6) Buddy Austin and other presets! I am sure Buddy and others will make them for the FM3, but they are here now!! :)
7) Amazing product with proven track record.

FM3 Pros:
1) New technology (AXE-FX III ARES modeling).
2) Smaller size for those that prefer it.
3) Colored screen.
4) Fractal states easier to use.
5) Headphone output,
6) 265+ models and 2000+ Cabs
7) All IR's from AXE-FX III

Questions to ponder:
a) Will the FM3 be able to use AXE-FX III presets?
b) As the CPU is similar, will the ARES and other factors impact the FM3 rig capability?
c) Is the initial FM3 selling price of $999. just to get started and then it will increase? Is it because of less features- Footswitches, etc? The AX8 was $1299...

Last edited:
AX8 Pro:
Buy it used, with beer already spilled on it.

FM3 Pro:
Shiny and new, you can eat off it.
Indeed that may apply to buying a used AX8! This topic/question was for current AX8 owners deciding whether to keep their AX8 or sell and get a FM3.

Last edited:
pro FM3 :
  • longer firmware support
  • up-to-date PC editor with longer support
  • increasing community support
The AX8 will go the same way the FX8 did. Less and less community members will provide patches and support. Once I have to run AX8- Edit in a VM to keep it alive it'll be time to sell the AX8.

Will you be able to use AX8 as controller for FM3, just curious. At least until FC prices come down in used market(year or 2 away)

No intention of changing anytime soon. It’s not really an upgrade for me as i’m happy with the all-in-one approach of the AX8. But the new modeling and headphone jack might be nice. Smaller size is cool too, but that would be offset by adding FC. Also I don’t think anyone should assume FW updates and support for a longer time. AX8 and FX8 got FW updates regularly, until they didn’t.

I’ll reconsider when they are fully out and tested and everything is available. Maybe I can catch a sale in 2020?

For some things I would be fine with 3 footswitches (including mainly all my regular gigs and quite obviously studio work) but there are some occasions where you need to be able to adapt fast, where the AX8 seems to take the lead.

I'm thinking about having the FM3 on the side if I can afford it.

I use a one preset per song with scenes for each part. For all my current 70+ songs, the three buttons will suffice. I do have some jam presets and my acoustic presets also use all 8 buttons on the AX8. But I am sure I can come up with a workaround for those. Maybe I'll buy a cheap midi switch or external switches

I don't really want the FC6. It's to expensive for how little I'll use it, and I also think it's too big combined with FM3. I'll probably go with a Morningstar your something similar

It does not integrate as nicely into the Fractal eco system as the FC6, but for the two times a year, I will need it, it will be sufficient.

As there are many AX8 owners contemplating a FM3, thought I'd start a Pros list in hopes that the community's ideas will help decide whether to keep our AX8 or jump to a FM3. These are not in order of importance or extensive, just my present thoughts.

AX8 Pros:
1) Strong Community Wisdom. It's been around so there are a multitude of solutions to most questions and problems.
2) Tons of helpful tutorial videos!
3) Community Presets. Just found an amazing Def Leppard preset, and there are tons out there! If the FM3 does not catch on, this won't be as strong for FM3 owners.
4) Green lit knobs Treble, Presence, etc... Really like having these immediately accessible.
5) Footswitches! Crucial for live playing and all around convenience. I think the lack of Footswitches on the FM3 will cause major issues for live players.
6) Buddy Austin and other presets! I am sure Buddy and others will make them for the FM3, but they are here now!! :)
7) Amazing product with proven track record.

FM3 Pros:
1) New technology (AXE-FX III ARES modeling).
2) Smaller size for those that prefer it.
3) Colored screen.
4) Fractal states easier to use.
5) Headphone output,
6) 265+ models and 2000+ Cabs
7) All IR's from AXE-FX III

Questions to ponder:
a) Will the FM3 be able to use AXE-FX III presets?
b) As the CPU is similar, will the ARES and other factors impact the FM3 rig capability?
c) Is the initial FM3 selling price of $999. just to get started and then it will increase? Is it because of less features- Footswitches, etc? The AX8 was $1299...
I don’t bank on you being able to load III presets. Although both are Ares they are still different. I believe the price is due to less Foot switches because some will have to fork out for an FC it now becomes more more expensive than an AX. And if you don’t need an FC you don’t want to pay the price of an Ax for less footswitches

I wonder if the ARES technology takes more than Quantum. This could impact available options building rigs when comparing AX8 and FM3 since they have similar CPU power.

I wonder if the ARES technology takes more than Quantum. This could impact available options building rigs when comparing AX8 and FM3 since they have similar CPU power.
I have said it before I believe it has more power but it also has different architecture. I believe its power is relative to the iii the way the ax is to the ii. It is. Or just Aries. I wish the Ax could just get the cloud reverbs but it ain’t happening

I’ve been tweaking my old AX8 for a little show I’ve been asked to play for , and it still really sounds great. I have the III in my studio.
The AX8 requires a few little tricks to navigate, when making adjustments , but it’s a damn fine unit.
The FM3 is a step up. It’s form factor is compact , and the display was taken from the III. Don’t let those 3 little switches fool you. The functionality FAS put into those switches makes them far more valuable than a typical 3 button guitar pedal.
The resources available to AX8 users is fantastic- as stated.
The size of the FM3 ; along with the improved sound of Ares , the bigger control screen ; which allows for a quicker and easier editing , makes the FM3 a GREAT addition to anyone’s current Mobil guitar rig - IMO.
I would recommend trying to stay current with FAS products , if you are a serious guitar playing fanatic ( for lack of a better term ). Your old unit will give you plenty of options once you have the new one.
You can keep it as a spare. You can leave it permanently set up at another location. You can keep it as a backup. Or , you can lend it to a band mate , friend , or son or daughter. And lastly , you could sell it. FAS makes quality products , and they tend to hold their value quite well.
I’m on the waitlist for the FM3 , and I’ll keep my AX8. If you don’t already own an AX8 - you’re late to the party !

Back
Top Bottom