Asking for some help please?

Ledvedder

Inspired
I've been trying for quite some time now to get some tones that inspire me in a band context. I'm a classic rock to 90s hard rock kind of guy. I play a Suhr Pete Thorn Signature guitar, as well as a PRS DGT and a few superstrats. As far as amps, I have a 50 watt plexi, and 20 watt JCM800 style head, a Trainwreck Express clone, and a 5153 50 watt head. On my FM3, I dial in some tones that sound good through my home studio monitors (Kali Audio LP-6). Then, when I play them through the band PA or my Fender FR12, it just doesn't seem the same.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone would be willing to share a good "Marshall-y" preset that works well for them in most situations? I'm really trying to make this FM3 work for me.

On my FM3, I dial in some tones that sound good through my home studio monitors (Kali Audio LP-6). Then, when I play them through the band PA or my Fender FR12, it just doesn't seem the same.

Check how the output has been set up - eg -10db or +4db. Also, check leads (XLR to TRS will result in a drop of about 6db).

Are you running stereo in both scenarios? If stereo monitors but mono PA, make sure that you've got the stereo to mono "collapse" sorted - you can sum L+R, or just work with one side, but you'll lose the other side.

Make sure the power and and cab simulation is turned on (I'm sure it would be if you are making presets with studio monitors, but no harm in checking!).

Use the Global EQ to fine tune the FM3 for the listening scenario (eg the PA). I try to leave this as flat as possible when creating sounds, but will sculpt a bit to tune for the room, PA, amp, etc.

I hope this helps ...

If your band owns the P.A. and you have regular access to it, I would make your presets on that at volume.

OR. get a copy of your band's performance and play along with it. It needs to be done at volume. Normally people get lost in the drums and cymbals so I often make my presets with SD3 cranked in the background. A guitar patch that's made to stand in a mix is not always pleasant by itself. Not saying you did this, but making presets at home with no accompaniment at low volumes rarely works.

Last edited:
If your band owns the P.A. and you have regular access to it, I would make your presets on that at volume.
This.

Ideally while playing along with recordings of the rest of the band doing the music you care about. It's all about how the whole band fits together. Parts as well as tone.

If there is a fundamental difference in the tone between your home speakers and the band PA, your best bet would be to create or edit your tones using the band PA itself. If it's just different volume levels causing the issue then sure, you can adjust for that by editing your presets at band volume, but either way, it's a far better idea to just set it up using the speakers you will be using for the performance.

I don't think there is such a thing as a preset that works in all scenarios. It will still sound different depending on volumes and speakers.
This is why big name bands are always struggling for consistency in their sound. It's also the reason a lot of them are going digital.

Maybe try a GEQ or PEQ set to scene ignore that you engage when you take your FM3 out to practice. Engage it and try to make your presets sound the way you want. I use a headphone comp EQ since most of my play time is later evening. It gets me pretty close to my speaker setup with the EQ off.

Or buy a FRFR like the MF10 for making Presets at home,
You will get closer to the sound of a PA, and you should also look into the subject of fletscher munson.
And make your presets first mono, if this match than run stereo

Back
Top Bottom