ART X-15

tony

Hi, I have an ART X-15 midi controller and I have figured out how to get it to switch from preset to preset on the AXE-FX. There are no expression pedal outputs on this controller but, there are two side by side expression pedals on it. I want to use the one closest to the switches for volume and the other one for a WAH. I just wondered if anybody else has one of these and knows if this will work or not before I get the manuals out and start reading?

I have an X15 and I use the two expression pedals for many things. It's dead easy. The one closest to the buttons is CC # 1, the other one is CC #127. Or to keep things easy, when you're on the I/O CTRL page, just hit the ENTER button to go into detect mode, and move the pedal... it will assign itself. If you need more info, just ask away.

Dpoirier said:
I have an X15 and I use the two expression pedals for many things. It's dead easy. The one closest to the buttons is CC # 1, the other one is CC #127. Or to keep things easy, when you're on the I/O CTRL page, just hit the ENTER button to go into detect mode, and move the pedal... it will assign itself. If you need more info, just ask away.

Many thanks!! :mrgreen: Once I get that going, is there a way to set the volume so that when the pedal is up the volume is around 80% and when it is pushed down it is at 100%?

Yes.

When you edit the Volume block, you attach a modifier to the Volume parameter, and then set the Start value to 80%, the Mid value to 90% and the End value to 100%. Bingo!

Daniel

Dpoirier said:
Yes.

When you edit the Volume block, you attach a modifier to the Volume parameter, and then set the Start value to 80%, the Mid value to 90% and the End value to 100%. Bingo!

Daniel

OK, I have some more questions now. :oops: Do I have to put in a volume/pan block into every preset that I have in order to be able to use them with one of the X-15 expression pedals? If so, where is the best place to put the volume block so that it doesn't change the tone of the preset but instead only increases or decreases the volume? I would guess at the end of the layout but I haven't tried this yet. When I use the modifiers, which one should I choose for the source? I couldn't get the pedal to move the volume on the modifier graph by using any of the source selections. I am going to have some of the same questions on the Wah too. Do I have to put in a wah block on every preset to use the 2nd expression pedal? How do I get the Wah to shut off?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to MIDI.

tony said:
OK, I have some more questions now. :oops: Do I have to put in a volume/pan block into every preset that I have in order to be able to use them with one of the X-15 expression pedals?
Not necessarily. You could also attach one of your X-15 expression pedal to the main out level... however, this will affect the volume post-effects. In other words, when you lower the volume, it will also lower any reverb or delay trails. I much prefer to use a volume block and place it after the amp (not before, unless you want that volume control to also affect gain) and before reverb and delay (so that when I change the volume, the trails remain unaffected). It's very flexible.

tony said:
If so, where is the best place to put the volume block so that it doesn't change the tone of the preset but instead only increases or decreases the volume? I would guess at the end of the layout but I haven't tried this yet.
Like I said above, there are many options. Before the amp block you get to change the tone and gain, whereas after the amp block, you only change the perceived output volume. Before the reverb and delay, you get to keep the trails.

tony said:
When I use the modifiers, which one should I choose for the source? I couldn't get the pedal to move the volume on the modifier graph by using any of the source selections.
You probably missed a step. To assign a modifier, you need to do two things:
- Step 1: Set up a controller: Hit the I/O button, page over to CTRL, scroll down to one of the external controllers (external 1 for example), then turn the dial to enter the CC # of your X-15 pedal. If you don't know what that number is, use the "learn" function: hit the "Enter" button, and the Axe-FX will detect the CC# when you move that X-15 pedal. Once this step is completed, your X-15 expression pedal is now globally assigned to "External 1", which can now be used as a controller in any patch.
- Step 2: Assign the controller to a parameter. In this case, assigne External 1 to the volume parameter of a volume block. Edit the volume block, place the cursor on the Volume parameter, hit "Enter" to go into modifier mode, and select "External 1" as the controller. Edit your curve as needed. That's it, you're done.

tony said:
I am going to have some of the same questions on the Wah too. Do I have to put in a wah block on every preset to use the 2nd expression pedal? How do I get the Wah to shut off?
Yes, if you want a patch to have a wah, you need a wah block in that patch. You can get the wah to shut off in a number of ways, but the coolest one is to use the "Auto engage" feature of the controller you assign to the wah block's "Frequency" parameter. When you assign the controller, scroll down to auto engage to turn it on.

tony said:
Sorry for all of the questions, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to MIDI.
That's what this forum is all about. You may want to learn to use the wiki to search for these things, as they are already well documented. I know it can be intimidating, and does not have the immediacy of a straight answer to a straight question like you can get here, but once you get the hang of the wiki, it becomes easier.

Cheers,
Daniel

Thanks again Daniel!
I did go to the i/o and have the axe 'learn" the pedals but I put in pedal 1 and pedal 2. When I got to the modifier section there was no pedal 1 and pedal 2 to choose from. I will go back now and do the same with the external controllers 1 and 2. Should I disengage the pedal 1 and 2 when I do that so that the axe just uses the external controllers 1 and 2?

No, no. Pedal 1 and pedal 2 are the for when you are connecting continuous controllers to the two inputs in the back of the Axe labeled as pedal 1 and 2.

In the I/O menu, CTRL tab, don't do anything with OUT1 VOLUME or OUT2 VOLUME. Just scroll down with your cursor to EXTERNAL 1, then do the "learn" trick to assign one of your X-15's continuous controllers. Repeat for EXTERNAL 2 with your other X-15 continuous controller. If your X-15 is set up like mine, the learn feature will set one to 127, and the other to 1 (note: this may vary, hence the suggestion to use the learn feature to be sure).

Now in one of your patches, edit the Volume block as I explained before, and attach EXTRN 1 to the "Volume" parameter. Ditto for the wah block (but attach EXTRN 2). That's it. No need to muck at all with Pedal 1.

Daniel

Hey Daniel,
I just wanted to thank you again for all of the help on the X-15. I am working on the set ups that you have walked me through and it is all making sense now. Actually, this X-15 does quite a bit for the buck! :mrgreen:
Tony

Back
Top Bottom