Ares 2.0 vs Axe-Fx III fw.14 (worth the upgrade?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'r missing the point. I'm not saying you are wrong. They would still be useful in the real world. Guitar tone with traditional gear is sound good= is good. Modelling is totally different , you can still view it the same but with multiple amps and preset that are thrown off buy the gear you use with it to amplify. Compromise global eq correction presets would be useful in absence of an effective control method . Get over it. I understand your point and this is an alternative take. Im suggesting options, none of which are in anyway detrimental to your use at the present but WOULD be helpful to pro players that often find themselves in very far from ideal circumstances .

They would still be useful in the real world.

You didn't answer my question. Do you think it would be useful to let a mix engineer apply an EQ preset that worked for a specific guitar track in some other person's mix to a guitar track in yours without them ever having heard it?

Guitar tone with traditional gear is sound good= is good. Modelling is totally different; you can still view it the same but with multiple amps and preset that are thrown off buy the gear you use with it to amplify.

With random modeling presets, it's obviously hit or miss. Of course, my original point with regard to purchasing commercial presets was that it's much less hit or miss because commercial vendors often detail the guitar and pickups they use when designing them, so the buyer has some idea as to whether those presets will sound consistent with how they're represented in demos.

Compromise global eq correction presets would be useful in absence of an effective control method.

You've yet to explain how applying an EQ preset that's designed to shape a particular signal in a specific way to some other signal that may or may not be remotely similar is any more useful than letting a mix engineer apply an EQ preset from someone else's mix to yours without them even having heard your mix.

It really doesn't matter who how or why the EQ curve came about all that matters is that you could scroll through a few in a brief moment that you had to sound check and pick one (or not) to help in a fix. Do you gig? I seriously doubt it or if you do it is few and far between.

It really doesn't matter how or why the EQ curve came about all that matters is that you could scroll through a few in a brief moment that you had to sound check and pick one (or not) to help in a fix.

Can you explain how picking a random preset to fix a random issue that will lead to a random result would be helpful?

Last edited:
Tell that to Apple Music and every company that has a loudness control.

Unlike static EQ presets, "loudness control" employs algorithms that use intelligent processing to ensure that mixes are within certain limits. In the case of Apple Music, Sound Check examines levels in order to determine loudness and adjusts those levels accordingly to ensure they're consistent. It doesn't blindly turn levels up or down by a set amount.

Last edited:
So you don't gig and you play through studio monitors , hence the response.
What is your rig and what do you do with it?

So you don't gig and you play through studio monitors , hence the response.
What is your rig and what do you do with it?

You don't know anything about me, and you have no clue what you're talking about. If you did, you would understand why trying to fix acoustic space issues with random EQ presets is about as useful as using a random prescription drug to fix an undiagnosed medical condition.

Last edited:
Well we know you don't don't gig and have no clue about real world issues which unfortunately often are a compromise.
Good luck setting up your acoustic tiles at a rock club. Oh wait you don't play out. Grow up.

Well we know you don't don't gig and have no clue about real world issues which unfortunately often are a compromise. Good luck setting up your acoustic tiles at a rock club. Oh wait you don't play out. Grow up.

Again, you don't know me and you have no clue what you're talking about. I've gigged more indoor church venues and outdoor local gigs than I care to remember. I've also done my share of studio work at one of the oldest continuously operating studios in the United States, but I've never felt the need to sling my credentials around. That said, insults aren't a valid substitute for facts, and you've yet to offer any solid rationale for using a random preset to fix a random acoustic space issue. Again, can you explain how picking a random preset to fix a random issue that will lead to a random result would be helpful? I can only presume the reason you're deflecting is because you don't have a good answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom