Are your monitor levels right?

Humidfume

Inspired
Hey guys!

Another interesting concept to throw at you! The Axe FX is capable of some wicked Stereo effects, so surely it makes sense to ensure that it's being portrayed correctly in the environment you're setting it up in right?

Do NOT dismiss this video as a "Nah my monitor volumes are level, they go to the same dial on the back"... Come check it out!!!

hmmm... where is the mic physically on an ipad. If it is on one side it might pickup one speaker better than the other. I don't think I would trust an ipad.

Directly in the center on the back panel. And not trusting Apple with audio? I'm certainly not an expert with regards to all technology etc, but I would have thought Apple was pretty up there in terms of quality and innovation on stuff? Again don't quote me, but I'd be pretty surprised if an iPad WASN'T accurate assuming the software on it was calibrated correctly?

It's also a dual mic for added noise reduction / clarity and accuracy. I'm honestly not sure how accurate an iPad would be so I can't comment on it, but having a dead center mic, dual setup and a meter that registers the same levels every time etc, I felt comfortable enough to trust it. But again it's each to one's own AND it's down to my lack of certainty on the technical aspect, all I can do is trust my ears. Since turning the left up louder (to what the iPad said was balanced) I've noticed my kicks and snares sounding more central than before, when I turned i back down again I noticed it creep to the right. So at least for me it seems to be accurate :D

righto, but my room isn't symmetrical and I dont have the same furniture on both sides. My left has always seemed louder by default, but that could just be my ears, or whatever.

This is why I always run the amplifier end at 100%, and use my gain stages elsewhere to control the volume. Then you're just down to inherent issues with the built-in amp or attenuator, which with the modern class-D amps is practically nil. Probably still worth checking out. Just make sure to do it in your standard listening position :D

Back
Top Bottom