Are drive level controls normalized or do they respect the real pedals?

I think what others are saying that does make sense to me is that there are varying degrees of output depending on the pedal , so a tube screamer with output on 7 might be louder than a Horizon drive on 7 if all things are not equal how could you level that other than manually one by one ?
That's the whole point of my comment. There's 2853 options in a fractal, most of them not available in the real world. Why not have an option to approximately level out the volume outputs - like Spotify levels out song volumes so you don't get shocked by a really loud song.

That's the whole point of my comment. There's 2853 options in a fractal, most of them not available in the real world. Why not have an option to approximately level out the volume outputs - like Spotify levels out song volumes so you don't get shocked by a really loud song.

Yeah Spotify levels out songs but they jack the volume on commercials. It’s annoying.

Spotify leveling a song is different than leveling a drive pedal. The volume depends on the other controls. I suppose they could just level at the default settings. You can always make it an official wish. It could happen some day.

Some folks want their dynamics

That's the whole point of my comment. There's 2853 options in a fractal, most of them not available in the real world. Why not have an option to approximately level out the volume outputs
There IS such an option, it just isn't automatic: Drive and amp blocks have separate gain controls and level controls. Set the drive/gain/distortion where you like it, and then set the level wherever it needs to be to "level out", as you put it.

Why not have an option to approximately level out the volume outputs
Cause this will defeat the whole purpose of many of them. Like there are so many pedals which are best used with gain near 0 and volume at 11 that the very idea of normalization simply kills the best use case for this as well as the whole "accurate modelling" idea in general.
Guys gave you the best idea in this case - if you insist on "normalizing", spend 30 min on "normalizing" them using Volume control for each channel of Drive block, save and simply load it from the Library each time you need it. It will totally change the sound and behavior of the amp after this drive block, but if this is what you are after, you can get it.

What you call a normalization of volume is actually something discussed in great length over many years here. For example, many would like to have all amps have the same volume when Level is at 0, but because amps are behaving as their real world counterparts, changing their volume with each turn of Gain, Trim or MV, as well as Presence etc., this kind of automatic leveling is probably never going to happen.
There's 2853 options in a fractal, most of them not available in the real world
Quite surprised to hear that. Which options you are referring to?

A "normalized" switch could be doable by FAS for each drive at their defaults assuming a certain level of input.

However, once you (as a user) change any dial on any of them (e.g. Drive), they will start to deviate. Even if you set Drive to the same value on all of them, they will deviate due to different responses. It also depends on the level of your guitar signal (weak vs hot pickups). There is no easy way to do this in the unit automatically given all the variables.

An external tool might be able to run a script to run through all the drives at the settings you want to normalize them and save them to a block library. But that's not the same as scrolling through them on the unit or in AE.

I like this idea, but as others have pointed out it would get really tricky to maintain that as you adjusted the other controls…

But I’m imagining a “unity” switch that would engage the following behavior: the drive block monitors the signal level at its input (peak or RMS, idk which makes more sense), and compares that to the same measurement at the output. Then it applies the necessary positive/negative dB gain to eliminate the difference. Kinda the way “auto make up” works in the compressor block.

Could also be useful in the amp block…

I like this idea, but as others have pointed out it would get really tricky to maintain that as you adjusted the other controls…

But I’m imagining a “unity” switch that would engage the following behavior: the drive block monitors the signal level at its input (peak or RMS, idk which makes more sense), and compares that to the same measurement at the output. Then it applies the necessary positive/negative dB gain to eliminate the difference. Kinda the way “auto make up” works in the compressor block.

Could also be useful in the amp block…
You got it! The 'auto make up' is a good analogy.

Back
Top Bottom