Anyone tried a midi editor/librarian with Fractal devices?

Rex Rox

Power User
I moved some cobwebs around in my mind this morning and remembered a great Midi Editor/Librarian I used back in the 90's with a couple of Roland synths - Midi Quest. Wasn't sure if they were still around but a quick googlino showed that they seem to be alive and kickin'.

Going the route of midi editor librarian might satisfy my need for a good number of librarian features that the fractal editors do not yet provide. While Fractal does not appear on Midi Quest's device list they do have this handy utility in Midi Quest that might make it "less" painful to create support for any fractal device capable of Midi SysEx:

https://www.soundquest.org/Help/MidiQuest12/techdocs-instcrwindow.htm

But as eluded to there and in my own experience setting up SysEx correctly can be a real pain! I'm sure @AlGrenadine (who wrote FractTool) can probably speak to this since I he likely used SysEx for FracTool.

I searched the forums and found no mention of "Midi Quest" or even just "midi editor/librarian". So I will probably trailblaze this. But before I go solo has anyone tried a midi editor/librarian with Fractal devices?

We talked about doing something with the MIDI Quest guys years ago, but it was just too much of a project on top of Axe/FM9/FM3-Edit.
(And depending on your features that our editor doesn't provide, you may be barking up a dead tree.)

you may be barking up a dead tree
Ouch! That would be a ~$400 dead tree too! As far as features go, I think the blocks library could be much more powerful with this one (guessing simple to implement) addition:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/update-presets-from-library-block.193555/

Edit: Also if Fractal published an API spec (suitable for implementing librarian-like functions over USB), then I am sure many of the talented sw dev members in the Fratcal community could put it to great use!
;)
For instance: maybe a DAW VST/AAX plugin (simple and separate from the editor)? It would simply let you browse/select presets on your Fractal device and save them (with each corresponding track) in the DAW. This would be seriously handy for recording. Presets could be saved (and snaphot) in the project for each track without needing anywhere close to a full editor plugin. I have to make extensive use of track notes now and export my presets to the project folder (to help ensure they are available at some future date with as little pain as possible).

And the obvious ... a plugin version of the editor (making full editing and host automation possible). OK this last one is insane I know! But I can dream right?

Last edited:
I searched the forums and found no mention of "Midi Quest" or even just "midi editor/librarian".
I'm very certain @GlennO has raised this discussion on a librarian more than once.
And the obvious ... a plugin version of the editor (making full editing and host automation possible). OK this last one is insane I know! But I can dream right?
There have been various wishes/discussions about this.

I'm very certain @GlennO has raised this discussion on a librarian more than once.

There have been various wishes/discussions about this.
Thanks so much! I didn't find them with my search but I will search his posts.

I know the devs at Fractal are doing a great job. Having been in similar trenches it is nearly impossible to satisfy everyone's wants/needs. That is what gave birth to the API! If they could do an API without giving away anything proprietary - a little cottage industry could spring up on these boards for "vendors" providing some useful goodies.

Back
Top Bottom