Anyone lucky enough to compare: Verve 12ma AND Fractal FRFR?

Gasp100

Power User
I know, I know -- wishful thinking. But, after all of this time I'm getting ansy and I feel compelled to make a move here. I find myself looking at and longing for "real" amps sometimes. But, I know that would be a mistake (unless I could afford one small combo and also get into the FRFR realm). Right now I'm doing the home practice/studio thang with Adam A5's which I love, but I'm aching to hear the AxeFX with more power/size behind it. To be honest, I don't play loud at all and probably won't have to for quite some time but even at low(er) volumes I think a good amp through 12's can sound sweet.
I'm on the verge of grabbing a cheap SS power amp and nice cab (1x12, 2x12) but I've been down that road (TWICE) and always felt like I was missing something without a real FRFR solution.
So has anyone compared the Verve 12ma and Fractal FRFR? Cliff maybe? Tom King? obviously they would be biased, but I really want to know if anyone has an opinion on which way to tread. The wait for the Fractal FRFR is just killing me... being honest.

I'm starting to think the Verve 8ma might be an easy way to "ease" into the wedge / FRFR scenario. I don't do (or need) "chugga-chugga" lol! But, I think the 12ma is only about $150 more? Do you think the 8ma for an at home - to small - jams rig would be sufficient? Obviously, if I dug it and started gigging again someday I could upgrade to a larger FRFR scenario. Scott, I think you are using the 8ma now while waiting for the 12ma? And no more QSC?

I don't think you could go wrong with either. The only worry is that when the Atomic product comes out, the resale value of the Verve's may take a plunge!!! They're popular now but once the Atomic comes out, I think most will jump ship and move to the Atomic solution. I probably won't because I don't want tubes any more. I've been down that road and don't want that headache any more!

mitch236 said:
I don't think you could go wrong with either. The only worry is that when the Atomic product comes out, the resale value of the Verve's may take a plunge!!! They're popular now but once the Atomic comes out, I think most will jump ship and move to the Atomic solution. I probably won't because I don't want tubes any more. I've been down that road and don't want that headache any more!

Very good point. I'm getting quotes from RMC and SpringTree as we speak. RMC is $100 more :shock: but lists 11-12 days. Springtree says not until early August. hell, the Fractal FRFR is supposed to be out earlier than that so I'm going to cool my jets. The voice of reason prevails!!! (for now :)

You could also go with the passive 12m and a poweramp in your rack, that way you can run guitar cabs if you want, too.

That's what I do with the 12m and the SLA-2, and I couldn't be happier.

Gasp100 said:
Do you think the 8ma for an at home - to small - jams rig would be sufficient?

I have a pair of 8ma's and they are MORE than sufficient. I have them turned to about 10 oclock playing with another guitar, bass, and drums, and it more than keeps up wonderfully and clear. And they sound great at home in my little studio.

gdgross said:
You could also go with the passive 12m and a poweramp in your rack, that way you can run guitar cabs if you want, too.

That's what I do with the 12m and the SLA-2, and I couldn't be happier.

Geez, I didn't even realize they have a passive version. Damn, someone is selling a Tubeworks Mosvalve for dirt cheap too! I wonder if that would "color" the sound too much; I imagine with the great quality of the Verve's that you want as pristine clean power as possible (which the ART SLA is supposed to be good at).

Gasp100 said:
I'm starting to think the Verve 8ma might be an easy way to "ease" into the wedge / FRFR scenario. I don't do (or need) "chugga-chugga" lol! But, I think the 12ma is only about $150 more? Do you think the 8ma for an at home - to small - jams rig would be sufficient? Obviously, if I dug it and started gigging again someday I could upgrade to a larger FRFR scenario. Scott, I think you are using the 8ma now while waiting for the 12ma? And no more QSC?

No more QSC. 8ma is SUCH a badassed little monster, I had to also get the 12ma. I don't 'need' the 12ma... I WANT the 12ma. The 8ma is just the bomb.

Back
Top Bottom