Anyone here took the passive PA speaker route instead?

Bushy

Inspired
Is it actually cheaper, lighter, and better?

I've been thinking about this type of setup as well just to try different things.

I already have a pair of powered pa speakers (Electro-Voice ZLX -12P). Should I try a 10" speaker or stick with 12" passive? Maybe 15"?

Any suggestions regarding power amp and passive pa speakers? What ohm to get, etc?

The ones Behringer has seems like the cheapest options even the passive pa speakers.

Are power amps heavy?
Depends entirely on the amp in question.

Matrix solid state power amps are light. Tube power amps are typically fairly heavy.

One advantage that I'm considering is that I already own a power amp, so the additional outlay of funds for new speakers would be less. However, other than that one factor, my preference is to purchase powered PA cabs. (Leaning toward the QSC K12.2's.)

I saw a YouTube talking about $1000 tube guitar amps vs. $200 solid state guitar amps.

Does your opinion differ when it comes to this type of amplification speakers though?

I'm not sure if they meant a separate power amp and cab speakers or combo amps. I'd guess both tube and solid state guitar amps come in either a combo or not a combo.

i don't see any advantage of passive speakers and separate power amps compared to modern day powered speakers.

I saw a YouTube talking about $1000 tube guitar amps vs. $200 solid state guitar amps.

Does your opinion differ when it comes to this type of amplification speakers though?
You’re talking about pa speakers in the thread, but this is talking about guitar amps. Completely different topics.

Good call. I was trying to figure out the advantages but now I see none. Other than I bought speaker cables instead of instrument cables lol.

One advantage that I'm considering is that I already own a power amp, so the additional outlay of funds for new speakers would be less. However, other than that one factor, my preference is to purchase powered PA cabs. (Leaning toward the QSC K12.2's.)

Back
Top Bottom