Anyone convert from a Standard to a Ultra?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Have had a Standard Axe Fx for past 3 years. Love it!!!! But starting to want to do some more complex stuff layout wise and running out of memory. Who has upgraded to the Ultra from a Standard? Any comments or thoughts?

Those on the fence regarding buying a Standard....it does 99% of everything you want and most (including me for 3 years) could play any extreme style/range cover band and do fine. Don't want to dissuade someone that reads this thinking the Standard is junk or underpowered for most applications.

I did; because I could at the time and I needed the multi-band compressor at the time (funny because I don't use it now) and the Multi-delay... which I use a lot.

I also use the 4 available filters in various ways... so more is better for what I wanted to do.

If I had the money, I'd buy another Ultra in a second and run them Dweezil style. I had two Ultras (one was borrowed) for about 4 months for a mini regional tour... it was just cloning one to the other at the time, but it'd be SO fun to make them work together.

I've had my Standard less than a year and absolutely love it! With that said, if I could make my purchase again, I would go with the Ultra. I only use my Axe for bedroom playing and recording (I play 2 - 4 hours daily). Most of my patches only use one amp and a couple of effects (at most) so memory/cpu is generally not an issue. However, I really prefer running two amps at once for recording. I have found several instances where I maxed out my Standard creating dual amp patches with multiple effects/eq in the chain. Eventually I might sell my Standard and buy an Ultra, but either way, I have been extremely happy with my Axe-Fx and do not regret selling my Mesa Roadster to buy it! :D

Scott Peterson said:
I did; because I could at the time and I needed the multi-band compressor
Thats funny! I have a standard and the multi-band compressor is the one thing that makes me crave the Ultra.

Still very happy with my standard compressors and all.

Nothing wrong with a upgrade either, if you are starting to hit some walls.

I did-but I did it right away-before the 15 days.
Been almost 2 years now.
To be totally honest-I am not doing anything now that the Standard wouldn't do.
But,I am glad I have the ultra-why? I don't know., maybe just knowing it's there should I decide I need it.

Back
Top Bottom